1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

?Cost to Run Pellet Stove?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Mr A, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Paul Raz

Paul Raz Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Orange County, NY
    Times change just like anything else. House is about 20 years old and oil wasn't an issue then. Since it has exceeded $4.00 per gallon it is quite hard to come up with that. Are you suggesting that I move? Think I'll try this option first. Seems to be working so far. And everything is not always what it seems. Just because the house is big doesn't mean I'm rich, just means I got a good deal in right place, right time. Why should I piss my money away on something I don't even see(heat). Especially when there are alternative things I can do to save a buck.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Georgia
    Yea, you're breaking my heart, too! Sounds like Al Gore bitching because some poor widow is leaving her incandescent light on too long!
  3. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Georgia
    The calculator I posted not only figures in efficiencies but also takes into account your air distribution efficiency.
  4. Paul Raz

Loc:
    Orange County, NY
    Bunch of haters!
  5. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    Well, you could always shut a whole floor down and use the rest of the house. turn off the water/etc in the winter. Have that level be your summer home. Or something.

I hear ya that things change, but some kind of future thinking had to have been made when you bought a house that could easily house 10 children, each with their own bedrooms. Plus a den. Plus a billiards/game room. Plus a live in maid.
  6. Paul Raz

Loc:
    Orange County, NY
    Nope met the wife who already owned the house, paid probably half what you paid for your house. Heating wasn't an issue at the time.
  7. saladdin

saladdin Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Tennessee
    Dude. That is beyond a decent sized house. That is a monster. You have those, what are they called, cathedral ceilings too? I'd burn the souls of cute puppies if it would be cheaper to heat a house that size. I feel for you.

It was 75 here yesterday and my stove has not turned on since Saturday.
  8. Paul Raz

Loc:
    Orange County, NY
    Burning puppies....don't know about all that the stove so ar is doing just fine. Lovin it!
  9. SwineFlue

SwineFlue Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Pa
    The Castile on the highest setting draws just under 100 Watts. I agree the oil boiler is probably double that (though I haven't measured it).