could use a little pellet stove advice thanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose I really have to just swallow it!
I like to point out that I have NEVER complained once, about a lazy fire nor a dirty burn. My beef is that I was put under the wrong impression. The company gave me a run around. If they had told me that this is it, this is how the stove is designed and you must follow the manual and clean it daily. Then ok, I can accept that. No time or minimal time is wasted. The manager made me sound like a liar. I'm calling them all out right here on this forum. I know their technicians roam around these forums. It was Russ and Mike that told me that they test burned 10bags of Lignetics through this stove nonstop, without a problem. Be upfront and honest about your chit with me. That is all. Did not appreciate this experience.
Please please, no one, please, DO NOT BUY THIS STOVE MODEL. It has cost me much of my valuable time. I wanted to post all this up so that the community can see and maybe able to use the experience in their decision making of purchasing a pellet stove.
I would like to thank all the support from the community here.
Let it burn.
G-Hop

Sm said:
G-Hoppa603 stove is a top feed evolution stove and should not need daily cleaning. Just daily monitoring of the burn pot, etc ...

G-Hoppa603 said:
I suppose I really have to just swallow it!
The company gave me a run around. If they had told me that this is it, this is how the stove is designed and you must follow the manual and clean it daily. Then ok, I can accept that. I know their technicians roam around these forums. It was Russ and Mike that told me that they test burned 10bags of Lignetics through this stove nonstop, without a problem. Be upfront and honest about your chit with me. That is all. Did not appreciate this experience.
G-Hop

You said that Russ & Mike both told you that they TEST BURNED 10 bags of Lignetics, without a problem.

My understanding of that is just what they told you "they "TEST BURNED" the unit. I would not take it for granted that I would be able to get the same results as they did because all test can have different results with the same make & model of stove due to different types of installations, exhaust venting, home layouts, pellets used for testing, etc.

imacman may have burned 57 bags of pellets in his stove without cleaning it, BUT in reality he performed a test, and got results that were unheard of. Imacman's stove is a different model than yours, so the same kind of results can not be expected.
Page 20 in the owners manual for imacmans stove (http://www.englandsstoveworks.com/manuals/10-CPM.pdf) has this information:

Daily Ash Maintenance
Press the “OFF†touch pad and allow the stove to shutdown (approx. five (5) minutes) prior to
opening the door. A long-handled screwdriver or long-handled putty knife can be used to scrape off
any build-up or crust in the Burnpot area. Remove and clean the Burnpot (See page 15). Daily
cleaning may not be required when burning wood pellets.

It DOES NOT say anywhere that one can burn 57 bags of pellet's in it with out problem or cleaning.

If you check out page 33 of your owners manual (http://www.englandsstoveworks.com/manuals/25-EP_EPI.pdf) you will find this information:

DAILY MAINTENANCE

Ash Removal and Disposal
• Press the “Off†button and allow the stove to complete the shut-down cycle
and cool completely.

• Grasp the heat exchange cleaning rod located at the middle of the decorative
room air grill and repeatedly pull it in and out until ash stops falling from the
tubes into the firebox. NOTE – The heat exchange tubes are the primary
medium which transfers heat from the fire into the room. Keeping them free
of fly ash is crucial to high efficiency operation of the unit.

• Because of the open design of the firebox, the majority of the ash will
already be in the ash pan. Open the main door of the stove and use an old
paint brush or putty knife to move ash from around the burnpot into the ash
pan below.

• Use a long handled screwdriver or putty knife to remove any deposits left in
the burnpot, being careful to remove them from the burnpot and not allow
them to filter down into the cradle area. Excessive ash build-up in the cradle
can cause poor stove performance (See “Cleaning the Burnpot†pg. 34).

• Turn the ash pan latch counterclockwise until it releases and slide the ash
pan out of the stove.

• Dump the ashes into a metal container (as described above) and store them
on a non-combustible surface to allow any embers to cool before disposal.

• Slide the ash pan back into the stove; rotate the latch clockwise, making
certain it catches the lip above the ash pan opening. The stove is now ready
to resume normal operation.

• Be certain the ash pan is ALWAYS installed properly in the stove; an airtight
seal around the ash pan is crucial for proper operation of the stove.

Englander/Timberridge/Summers Heat stoves are really very good units, their support department is superior compared to a lot of the "HIGH DOLLAR" stove companies.

You know what, I am sick of people keep telling me how to clean the stove.
As I have believed all along, this particular stove is just a bad design that restricts air flow into the burn pot. After some "messing" around, I decided to cut out a larger open in the cradle where the burn pot sits in. And whoaalaa!! I burned five bags of premium wood pellets continuously without any build ups or clumps inside of the pot. So if you techs working for Englander reading this, you are welcomed. Bring this up with your engineers so this cradle design can be altered.
Hope this post will help anyone else out there that has similar problem with this model.

TLHinCanada said:
This could be a new story for DON2222 to report on in the future.

LOL.. Too funny. If it happened he would find it.

G-Hoppa603 said:
You know what, I am sick of people keep telling me how to clean the stove.
As I have believed all along, this particular stove is just a bad design that restricts air flow into the burn pot. After some "messing" around, I decided to cut out a larger open in the cradle where the burn pot sits in. And whoaalaa!! I burned five bags of premium wood pellets continuously without any build ups or clumps inside of the pot. So if you techs working for Englander reading this, you are welcomed. Bring this up with your engineers so this cradle design can be altered.
Hope this post will help anyone else out there that has similar problem with this model.

Hi G-Hoppea603

That is very interesting!
What model stove do you have and where did you cut the hole? Can u post a pic of that please?

Status
Not open for further replies.