Cover your chimney cap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mellow

Resident Stove Connoisseur
Hearth Supporter
Jan 19, 2008
Salisbury, MD
With bill last weekend I had quite a bit of water come down my liner, this weekend looks to be the same with alot of high wind and rain. I am going to go up on the roof and cover my chimney cap this time. Are the rest of you guys seeing the same thing on the east coast?

This is what mine looks like with a terra cotta topplate:
capquick.JPG

smterracottatopplate.jpg

that cap looks nice, any chance that you could loose it to wind? If so, you might consider just taking it off and putting a plug on top. It will catch less wind and prevent water from coming down the flue. You can get standard galvanized plugs from the hardware store.

I haven't had the problem with my caps. But this summer I replaced them with a couple of these and will have to keep an eye out to see if it happens with them

Attachments

• terra cotta top plate.jpg
    terra cotta top plate.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 325
I had the mushroom cap originally as it was part of the liner package. I had that ripped off this past spring and went with a dual cap setup. I don't think even a hurricane can take this off as it's set with mortar screws.

Attachments

• old cap.jpg
    old cap.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 311
  • new cap.jpg
    new cap.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 338
MountainStoveGuy said:
that cap looks nice, any chance that you could loose it to wind? If so, you might consider just taking it off and putting a plug on top. It will catch less wind and prevent water from coming down the flue. You can get standard galvanized plugs from the hardware store.

The terra cotta cap gets screwed into the terra cotta and also straps down to the liner, and the cap straps down to the terra cotta top plate. If it gets blown off it is taking my liner with it!

Stejus, Mine looks like your old picture!

I just stuck mine up there last year and tried to silicone around it to hold it on but it moved whereever it wanted to. I have to climb up there and figure out a way to secure that thing. I wish I had something like that terracotta top, but my terracotta is smaller than the ones shown here. Guess I'll need to look around to see if you can order them with the right size. I could have broken mine off level with the base, but I wanted that extra 8" or so because I'm on the low end of the min length.

Stejus, mine looks just like your new picture - except yours is clean! I couldn't believe how much black, cinder-like creosote crusted up on the top (and fell in chunks on the chimney crown and my other sealed flue), and also coated the screen. The good news is my liner itself had just a few cups of fine brown powder.

stejus said:
I had the mushroom cap originally as it was part of the liner package. I had that ripped off this past spring and went with a dual cap setup. I don't think even a hurricane can take this off as it's set with mortar screws.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php?ACT=24&fid=2&aid=23602_J1Uu35PEYCbCzQhuzu9l&board_id=1

I have a chiney setup similar to yours. Our install will be going in sometime in September. It was my understanding we would have to raise the stack on the wood burner side to get it 'higher' that the furance stack. Have I misunderstood?

Shari

Shari said:
stejus said:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php?ACT=24&fid=2&aid=23602_J1Uu35PEYCbCzQhuzu9l&board_id=1

I have a chiney setup similar to yours. Our install will be going in sometime in September. It was my understanding we would have to raise the stack on the wood burner side to get it 'higher' that the furance stack. Have I misunderstood?

Shari

You can't see it from the pic. The two clay flues are at equal heights. However, the liner in stove flue sticks out about 4" higher than the flue base.

branchburner said:
Stejus, mine looks just like your new picture - except yours is clean! I couldn't believe how much black, cinder-like creosote crusted up on the top (and fell in chunks on the chimney crown and my other sealed flue), and also coated the screen. The good news is my liner itself had just a few cups of fine brown powder.

I almost chose the black version of this cap for the very reason it was going to get black. I chose stainless because it has a lifetime corrosion guarantee where the black painted version is not stainless and did not have a lifetime corrosion guarantee. In due time, it will be black I'm sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.