Covering Box Elder after it dries?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newman7786

Jul 13, 2013
Greenleaf WI
First off hello to all and thanks for the wealth of informatiom on this site. I started gathering wood last fall and am about to put my wood stove in for burning this year. Recently we had some storms come through our area and had some larger Box Elders come down in my yard and my neighbors. My neighbor said that I could have all the wood if I helped clean up, which was great for me. One of the old timers there that was jelping with the clean up told me that after the Box Elder is dried out for a year that it has to be covered and stay coverd until I am ready to burn it. I dont need it at all for this year and have read everything I can about covering wood piles and was just wondering if there was any truth behind it? I CSS on pallets two stacks deep in the back corner of my property that gets plenty of wind and morning sun. Sorry for the long first post, just want to put all the info out there. Thanks again!

Welcome to the site, Newman! Box elder is a member of the soft maple genus, and it will get punky fast if left in the weather too long. I'd recommend splitting it, stacking it on skids, and top covering it with either a tarp, rubber roofing, or metal roofing......that will keep the rain off of it and it will last a very long time that way.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
If you are going to burn the wood this season ,
a top cover is good to put on before it gets rained or snowed on.

I have mostly birch, it has to be kept dry.
The CSS'd stuff, starts getting punky in a few years out in the rain & snow.

Sounds like Box alder is similar.
You have it stacked great & in a good location,
a top cover before winter should let air thru the sides &
protect it from rain & snow .

Welcome !

Reactions: ScotO
First off hello to all and thanks for the wealth of informatiom on this site. I started gathering wood last fall and am about to put my wood stove in for burning this year. Recently we had some storms come through our area and had some larger Box Elders come down in my yard and my neighbors. My neighbor said that I could have all the wood if I helped clean up, which was great for me. One of the old timers there that was jelping with the clean up told me that after the Box Elder is dried out for a year that it has to be covered and stay coverd until I am ready to burn it. I dont need it at all for this year and have read everything I can about covering wood piles and was just wondering if there was any truth behind it? I CSS on pallets two stacks deep in the back corner of my property that gets plenty of wind and morning sun. Sorry for the long first post, just want to put all the info out there. Thanks again!

Welcome to the forum newman.

We've burned box elder several times and have no problem with it. Not good night wood but great for daytime. My only concern is that you want to burn it this coming winter. That might cause some problems. I would not burn it until it has been split then stacked out in the wind to dry. I've never had any concerns about it rotting either. We generally leave our wood uncovered the first summer and fall then top cover before the snow flies much. Usually late November or early December.

Hello....Newman! Welcome to the forum. Great information here for sure.
Real soft wood that box elder, but it will burn. Looks like you're from Wisconsin
save the box elder for shoulder season or day time when your around the stove all day.
Keep collecting wood. You can't have enough.

Thnak you all for the quick replies. I am not palnning on using the Box Elder this year. I have enough dry pine, elm, and ash to burn for this year. I am just looking for ways to keep it in good shape for next year. And yes I agree with you Gary, BTU's are BTU's espically when they are free!

Vapor barrior under the pallets helps a lot as well in conjunction with a top cover just slight wider than the stack of splits ( don't want hanging way down the sides, traps moisture then) Burn lots of Box Elder, Mountain Ash, Silver Maple mostly because they are what shows up in the scrounge department most often around here. Just got to have a lot more of it than the Oaks and such. Keeping it dry is the key to preventing punking out for all species.

Punking is caused by moisture not drying out quickly so depending on your climate and how you stack your wood it may or may not be a problem with out top covering.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.