Covering wood stacks and getting into the groove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 18, 2009
MB
In looking ahead at the forecast I am seeing our first precipitation in weeks.

Today I will be digging out old wood paneling to set on/by the woodpiles for this year's wood. I will also be looking for out old tarps for the wood that isn't stacked yet for 2011-12.

We woke up to a cool house this morning because I neglected to look at the overnight temps which dropped to -7 celsius with some wind.

If I had thought ahead I would have gotten a decent fire going last night which would have kept the chill off until morning. Given that we are only using a small stove I know that at some point we are going to have to bite the bullet and turn on the furnace elements but as long as we are able to get the temps up without it we will keep the furnace elements off.

We're a bit warmer in Eastern Canada yet. Had a few frosts, but no like your -7C.
I've had the Econoburn running for a few weeks, though. I'd rather be warm and open a window if I overheat the house, than have a cool wife padding about in the morning. I'm burning a mix of maple, poplar and balsam fir right now.
I'm going to cover about 5 cords this winter. Tarps and some old tin roofing. It'll be my "just in case" wood for myself or a friend, if we feel we're running low in late January or February.
Stay warm, and happy burning.

We just experienced our first snow flakes of the year about 30 minutes ago! We have been terribly dry but got a decent rain last night. Today is showers and now some snow mixed in.

Snow, Savage? SNOW?! Its like 58 here in NY. Maybe down to like 44 @night. When, oh, when will it REALLY get cold???

Hold on for a day or so and we'll see if we can send some your way! lol It is not freezing every night here but it does get a bit chilly. Things were a bit white again this morning from heavy frost.

Look for a good cold spell to come through about the end of next week.

Dennis, you can keep that weather right where it is ;-P

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

Well, it really didn't amount to anything but a few flakes. It only got down to 29 overnight and is sunny this morning. Now they are forecasting a warmup. Typical fall weather.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

+1 Eileen

I think we've seen enough of the white stuff last year :bug:

Speaking of, guess what challenge I had at work today? Trying to get a plow truck that's 14 y.o., and hasn't been used for the past 4 or so years up-n-runnin. Did I mention I dislike Fords (electrically) and Bio-Diesel...

Status
Not open for further replies.