1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Q&A Crack in my stove

Post in 'Questions and Answers' started by QandA, Oct 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QandA

QandA New Member Staff Member

Question:

We have recently purchased an antique wood-burning stove that needs some restoration. I have already found answers for rust and paint on the Hearthnet but I couldn't find a good answer on cracks. The stove has a small, hair-line crack about 4 inches long on the back. Can this be welded? Should this be welded? Are there any other products or solutions we should know about? I would also prefer to keep the stove a nice as possible so cosmetics is a concern. Thank you

Answer:

It would be best NOT to weld such a crack. You could use black furnace cement ro patch it from the inside, outside or both. Then you could paint over the cement if needed.

Cast-Iron does not weld well, and the quality of cast in an old stove like this might make things even harder.

A lot depends on if you desire to actually burn the stove. Even then, I might leave such a hairline crack alone until if/when it gets larger.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.