Crack on jotul firelight, help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So after waiting for a call back since Friday I called again yesterday. Had to wait to be called back again. I calmly and politely explained my problem. I was then questioned at length about the quality of the wood I was using. After that, the dealer basically told me too bad we aren't doing anything. I then politely and calmly asked that he contact the rep again and re explain the situation. To which he said he didn't think it would make any difference but he would do so and then call me back. That was yesterday morning. What a shocker they still haven't called me back. So looks like I'm on my own here. I can say this, I will never do business with this dealer again.

Sooooo anyway, has anyone ever recemented a F600? Any tips? Do's/don'ts? I bought two tubes of rutland cement. I'm hoping to just try and recement what I can see without taking the whole thing apart, if I can just figure out how the top of the inner and outer front pieces is cemented I should be ok. If not I may have to do a tear down.

I'm not sure how much cement is even in that stove. I thought the majority(if not all) of the seams were gasketed and held in place by pressure only(bolts or simple weight). I sure may be wrong about this but I thought you would only use a sealant in order to hold the gasket in place.
Joe

If it's like its smaller siblings, only the top and doors are gasketed. On the F400 the side and bottom seams are cemented.

BeGreen said:
If it's like its smaller siblings, only the top and doors are gasketed. On the F400 the side and bottom seams are cemented.

From what I can see that's how it works, gaskets on the top and doors. Do the smaller ones have two piece fronts as well? The back to side seams are pretty obvious, but the front pieces are confusing.

I do know the door, top, ashpan and reversable flue connection are all gasketed only. I'm unsure about the rest but I'm going to go check.
Joe

Not too many fasterning points holding these babys together i see! Perhaps in order too allow for expansion of the different thickness and shapes of the pieces, at different rates.Perhaps the bolts were too tight originally, stressing the failure point to relieve its-self. Check the surface in which the stove sits for level. If you end up doing a rebuild,do so on a level surface,,assemblying when possible without gasketts to try to determine if there is a warped piece. (from whatever reason).

I can fix your piece, gladly so,,provided the cost of shipping is feasible. (If for whatever reason you retain the piece, when alls said and done)
You certainly should be able to speak with a rep, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.