Cracked ceramic baffle Hearthstone Homestead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The commentary accompanying this repair definitely contains "some mature content that some listeners may find objectionable."

My hearthstone didn't have any cotter pins holding the baffle or the air-pipes in place. Nor was I able to remove the tubes. Seems as if the Secondary Air Pipe Locking Bracket (#32) got welded from stove use onto the manifold right around pipe #2. I could pry it loose around pipes 1 & 3, but it wouldn't budge near the middle pipe. I didn't want to break it, so I had to figure out how to do this w/o removing the pipes.

I managed to lower the entire secondary burn unit (parts #28-32), place the new baffle pieces on top of the pipes, position the baffle support on top of baffles, and attempt to lift the manifold back into place, all the while cursing up a storm. It wasn't fun.

One piece of advice — if you have clumps of cement on the interior wall above where the old baffle sat, definitely chip these off as advised in the instructions. The baffle support bar is quite wide and it doesn't take much for it to get hung up inside and inspire a cascade of profanity.

What kind of cement does it come with? I have two cracked baffles that I'd like to try to glue together, and I'm certain the stove cement won't do the job.