Cracks in fireplace liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
im not sure what i'm looking at? cast refractory panel in zero clearance prefab or firebrick in a masonry fireplace ? either way it's not the flue tile. if it's simply a crack in the firebrick of a masonry fireplace, put some refractory cement on it seasonally and you will likely be fine, it's not uncommon for a firebrick to crack.

I am assuming that a ZC wood unit with refractory insert panels. The "liner" is actually the flue. Most people would call those refractories.

That picture is too small to make out any detail. General rule I have heard is that if the crack is large enough to stick a quarter in it, it should be replaced, small cracks are pretty normal. If there are chunks missing or it feels like it could fall apart at any moment it should be replaced. Those things are not that expensive usually, you should gather your model and serial number and call a dealerto get a price on it. Might just be worth it to replace it to satisfy the inspector and new homeowners.

You can get those panels pretty cheap. If it would make the inspector happy, replace the thing just to get him out of your hair.

Thanks everyone.

Found out my neighbor who had the same inspector went thru the same thing. He had a local company come in and they patched the cracks and installed a cast iron plate for $400 which sounds a bit fishy to me. I hate like hell to spend $400 I don't have to but in the overall scheme of selling the house it's the easiest thing to do.

Is there a standard place to look for manufacturer and model number?

I mean on the fireplace itself. it is a zero clearance insert that was installed by the builder. I'm the third owner and did not get any manuals from previous owner.

Post a picture of the whole unit and maybe it can be identified.

Doesn't look like an insert.... looks like a full fireplace to me. Usually there is a tag riveted to the upper left or right smoke baffle. Or possible along the edges. Should be a silver (or brown from heavy use) tag with a model and serial number on it.

If it truly is an INSERT which would usually be an EPA wood stove type unit INSERTED into an older ZC or open face masonry unit then the rating plate is probably along the left side buried behind the surround panel and everything.

I don't know why you would need a plate put behind the panel either. Unless the panel was so damaged that the steel behind it started taking heavy damage. Seems unlikely.

Copperfield and other chimney suppliers sell bulk sheets of these refractory boards for using in these fireplaces. I know they cost much less than $400. I can look up the price at home.

I have to question when these plates are installed , do they change the characteristics of the applaince? since the change the meteral make up of the fire box, who certifies the integerty of the unit after the alteration? What testing lab has approved thes plates and what units can they be installed in? or are they listed for installation in.

Sir you are right to question the fix of plates. Do not install them because it becomes your problem if something happens. The correct way is to install refractory plates or boards.

You are selling the home get that estimate of the repair work and credit the buyer for that amount. Let him be responsible for incorrect repairs and not have it come back on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.