Cracks In The Stones Of My Hearthstone Homestead.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donmattingly

Jun 17, 2009
Southern,NH
I saw them starting to develop last year. I have owned this stove for 4 years. No complaints other than these cracks. They appear on the side and are not visible unless you are looking for them.

Pretty sure it is my fault for getting the stove too hot too early in the burning season.

Here is my question. Should I be worried?

001.JPG 002.JPG

According to the stone stove makers, cracks are normal. So long as they aren't leaking creo out or sucking air in.

Why does Hearthstone soap look soooooo different than Woodstocks?

Different quarries?

Yes, from completely different continents from what I have been told.

According to the stone stove makers, cracks are normal. So long as they aren't leaking creo out or sucking air in.

I have been frequently lighting matches near the cracks while the stove is going to see if there is any draft or leaks. So far, nothing.

Why does Hearthstone soap look soooooo different than Woodstocks?

Also, hearthstone polishes their stone to a mirror finish while woodstock seems to go for the steel wool finish.

Also, hearthstone polishes their stone to a mirror finish while woodstock seems to go for the steel wool finish.

I don't think they are "polished", if I recall, they are left bumpy and lumpy, (natural), but they seem to have a finish like a lacquer on it? No?

No, the hearthstones are totally smooth. No finish on them, polished to that level of shine.

I have an old Woodstock Classic that has several cracks in various panels of the stove. However, on the Woodstock the entire stove appears to have two layers of soapstone on every surface. Since none of the cracks on the outer layer of stone appear to match up with any interior cracks it doesn't seem to affect the performance of the stove in any way that I can tell.

No, the hearthstones are totally smooth. No finish on them, polished to that level of shine.

Thanks... I have to go look at one again (dealer near my house). For some reason I remember them being lumpy and bumpy, or natural feeling/looking.

So where does Hearthstone get their soap?

I read south america somewhere but don't hold me to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.