Hearthstone must have a new quarry!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webby3650

Master of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Indiana
All of the hearthstones that we received this year have had beautiful stones! I thought I would post some pics so people could see that all soap stone isn't the same. I sure like them better than others I've seen!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 310
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 302
That is nice grain.

Wow! _g

I love their stoves but the top of that thing looks weird.

No, we just don't have to sell it. ;lol

I find the grain a bit busy and poorly matched. When there is that kind of strong grain in the stone, care should be taken to have a consistent look.

I thought this was an improvement over all the BORING soapstone out there. Feel free to just delete!

No worry, thanks for sharing. It's up to the market to decide if they like em or not.

True, but I like to imagine artisans hand selecting each tile to match the others and create visual harmony...

If you ever saw the process that is used to make these stones, you'd be amazed that they even get to upstate Vt for final assembly. Soapstone is isn't obtained from a quarry, per se, at least not the Hearthstone stuff. The soapstone they use is from South America & it comes from boulders randomly strewn across the jungled countryside. Once a boulder is used up, the entire operation is moved on to the next one they locate.
The saws it is cut with & the water pumped to keep the blades cool is powered by donkeys. Each stone is polished, chamfered & dadoed BY HAND. The workers are not craftsman. They are culled from the local population, making bare bones minimum wages in primitive working conditions.
The only matching that is done is at the Hearthstone facility in Morrisville, & if the stones aren't size & grain-direction controlled by the laborers, the assemblers just do the best they can...

If you ever saw the process that is used to make these stones, you'd be amazed that they even get to upstate Vt for final assembly. Soapstone is isn't obtained from a quarry, per se, at least not the Hearthstone stuff. The soapstone they use is from South America & it comes from boulders randomly strewn across the jungled countryside. Once a boulder is used up, the entire operation is moved on to the next one they locate.
The saws it is cut with & the water pumped to keep the blades cool is powered by donkeys. Each stone is polished, chamfered & dadoed BY HAND. The workers are not craftsman. They are culled from the local population, making bare bones minimum wages in primitive working conditions.
The only matching that is done is at the Hearthstone facility in Morrisville, & if the stones aren't size & grain-direction controlled by the laborers, the assemblers just do the best they can...

That's very interesting.

Where does woodstock source their soapstone?

I have a question about soapstone. I have been studying up on traditional cooking ovens and it seems like a lot of people don't use soapstone because it cracks easily, heats up too fast, and doesn't retain heat as well as fire brick. Basically, it is terrible for long slow cooking and baking. Why do companies use it for their heating stoves if the material doesn't store heat as well as fire brick?

Where is that information from? I believe soapstone is a bit more dense than firebrick and therefore has a bit higher heat capacity. It is slower to warm up and releases heat a bit slower. The specific heat of the two materials is the same I think. Regardless, a stove clad in soapstone is going to be a heckuva lot more handsome than one clad in firebrick.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/spht.html
http://www.tulikivi.com/en/fireplaces/Soapstone_Properties_of_soapstone
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/specific-heat-solids-d_154.html
http://physics.info/heat-sensible

Mainly all of my info comes from the internet, but I also seek advice from stove builders. I surf a lot. One of the places I have been lately is Forno Bravo.

Your Tulikivi link isn't working, Begreen. I wonder what the fire core is made out of. Is it soapstone or another material? I know the lightweight versions use a ceramic core. I have been trying to find the answer on their website. http://www.tulikivi.com/.

I have a question about soapstone. I have been studying up on traditional cooking ovens and it seems like a lot of people don't use soapstone because it cracks easily, heats up too fast, and doesn't retain heat as well as fire brick. Basically, it is terrible for long slow cooking and baking. Why do companies use it for their heating stoves if the material doesn't store heat as well as fire brick?
I've never heard that before, in fact the opposite. It's slow to heat up and resistant to cracking in high heat conditions.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
After all, it is natural stone. Right?

No. It is all fake. Hand made. :rolleyes:

I do agree the stone can look very nice. The side looks much better than the top. I'll bet they are aware and will make some corrections.

We never knew this and perhaps that is good because we've done lots of cooking on our soapstone. Wife likes it a whole lot better than cooking on a steel stove. As for the cracking easy, I guess it all depends. Ours has not cracked yet but we've only used it for six years.

Status
Not open for further replies.