Craiglist find, MS 390

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked the 290 is 54cc the 390 I know is 64 and the 310 is somewhere between 59 or 61?? I think it has a decomp valve.

Well, I was first caller, picked this up for $150. Runs, compression good, the plastic switch for choke and run is broke.
A couple bucks, few parts, and she'll be good as new.

Anybody have one of these would like to comment, suggestions?

I've cut a lot of wood in my 38 years and I'm not particularly careful with my equipment, but how in the Christ did that bar get so beat up? It looks like it's never been trued yet all the pant is worn/chipped/beat off of it. I guess my suggestion is get that bar trued.

Bar riding in a toolbox?? I looked at pics this time. The round knob for air filter cover I think is the new model. Mine has a latch that rotates 90 degrees to lock/unlock. I think that was the first generation. I'm begenning to wonder if this is a freinkensaw?

Ok gent's here's the status, Clemsonfor, the handle says, "type" MS 390, 64cc engine family, 1A8XS 0645RA. Big Redd, I can't explain the bar but I think I can shed some light on this! I started it up and ran it, decided to put a load on it and as soon as I tried to go through a 8" round, it acted like it had no power and wanted to quit. "YES" the saw's beat;ex. My next step, I pulled the muffler and took a look at the piston, "how the thing ran is beyond me"!!! Needless to say, I have been screwed and didn't even get kissed<> sometimes things are not what they seem, I sould have known better by looking at the bar, but all the plastic and the botton was in good shape. My guess is, this saw was used by a tree service or contractor "HARD". I called the local Stihl and asked about the age, with the flippy caps it is a newer model, but with out looking up some numbers, hard to tell the year. The saw does not look like it has ever been apart, there is no socket marks on any of the bolts that I noticed. All I can say is oh well:(..... I'll put it on the shelf and make it a winter project at work during lunches. I feel like a jack azz after this one, and my butt hurts too:eek:

Sorry to hear that. You just learned the hard way to ALWAYS pull the muffler and look at the piston when buying a used saw.

Ouch!!!! Sort to hear that.

Considering the purchase price, you still have room to replace the whole engine and break even. I'd start by measuring the cylinder to see what you really have. The main difference between the MS290/310/390 is the bore diameter. Crankshaft and connecting rod are the same. You can reuse them if they pass inspection.

MS290 is 46 mm bore
MS390 is 49 mm bore

The 310 is somewhere in between. ;lol

I would not put this saw back together as a MS290. 390 or bust! If you order a 390 top end, you can simply plug the port for the decomp valve since you don't have the plastics to accommodate it.

I did a 390 with an aftermarket kit not too long ago, came out great!

Considering the purchase price, you still have room to replace the whole engine and break even. I'd start by measuring the cylinder to see what you really have. The main difference between the MS290/310/390 is the bore diameter. Crankshaft and connecting rod are the same. You can reuse them if they pass inspection.

MS290 is 46 mm bore
MS390 is 49 mm bore

The 310 is somewhere in between. ;lol

I would not put this saw back together as a MS290. 390 or bust! If you order a 390 top end, you can simply plug the port for the decomp valve since you don't have the plastics to accommodate it.

I did a 390 with an aftermarket kit not too long ago, came out great!
I'll PM you when I tear it apart if you don't mind. I don't think I'm gonna do it any time real soon. I just bought a whole top end big bore kit for my 441 magnum, I gotta get that up first;). That saw "is" only three years old, I'm owner # 2 and I knew the original owner of it well. He flooded it out, took the plug out, and stripped the plug out putting it back in. Handed me the saw and said, here's a saw for you! He went back out and bought a new one.

Of the 029/290/310/390 series, I like the 310 the best. Far better AV than either the 290 or 390 (for whatever reason, the 390 has way more vibration) and with a light muffler job (or just a Euro style muffler) has the power of a stock 390. They are also a lot more common (at least around here they are). I would look for a good used 310 or 390 complete engine on Ebay. You can also go aftermarket, but they usually do not last as long. Really no way to rebuild them like pro saws with the clamshell type engines.

And again, much to be said for pulling the muffler (or just the plug) before you buy and looking at the cylinder/piston for scoring. They are easy to fry, and any saw is only one tank of straight gas from a complete rebuild. 20-20 hindsight vision, I know, but... just a reminder.

Reactions: WeldrDave
And again, much to be said for pulling the muffler (or just the plug) before you buy and looking at the cylinder/piston for scoring.

Amen, and thats totally my fault, Funny thing is, the saw fired right up, sounded decent, didn't idle to well but the guy said he hadn't ran it in a while so "assumed" alls good, paid the man and went on my way. Lesson learned, got schooled:oops:

You're just fine - not fun, but you won't lose any money - you can part out that saw and get all of your money back if that's what you'd like to do. Cheers!

I have been burned on a few saws myself. My first 066 had a bad bearing. That is a really spendy fix, so I parted it out on Ebay and actually made some coin on it. I also got a bad saw on Ebay and went through the hassle of getting a refund. The seller was screaming bloody murder all the way, but I had paid with a CC, shipped it back, and once he signed for it, the refund was credited to me. They can say no returns on Ebay all they want, but with a CC or Paypal payment, the item has to be 'as described.' A beater saw was not what was listed in the description. I also bought an 026 that had used crankcase oil in it for bar oil, and that saw was a mistake to buy. But I cleaned it up and made it into a woods porting project, and I broke even on it.

You can usually get $100 for a fried 390 though. You could break it down and probably come out ahead on Ebay selling it for parts.

SH, I think I'll just put this one on the shelf, get a kit for it, new bar and chain, and go from there. I'll spend alittle $$ at a time and make it a project through the winter, it'll be good experience for me. I've done several V-8 motors, but never a chainsaw rebuild, should be fun:cool: I still have two good saws and wood on hand. I'll yell to Scotty, you, MM and who ever when I get stucko_O;)

Status
Not open for further replies.