crank seal replacement....how much?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping for the best for ya' SteelTown but an air leak at the base gasket doesn't make sense if you indeed had problems with the saw running too rich and/or flooding out. Introducing fresh air would lean the saw out, not flood it. Wonder if they're planning on replacing the rings while the cylinder is off?

I'm hoping for the best for ya' SteelTown but an air leak at the base gasket doesn't make sense if you indeed had problems with the saw running too rich and/or flooding out. Introducing fresh air would lean the saw out, not flood it. Wonder if they're planning on replacing the rings while the cylinder is off?

I am thinking that means head gasket. (Easy fix but that should have been very loud) Be a good time to sqaush it a bit. There shooting on the easy stuff if its the case gasket? :eek:

I am thinking that means head gasket. (Easy fix but that should have been very loud) Be a good time to sqaush it a bit. There shooting on the easy stuff if its the case gasket? :eek:

... leaking around the main gasket..the one the cylinder sets on...

Don't think the 460 has a "head" gasket. Cylinder and the head are all one piece. Only thing that could simulate that type of failure would be a leaking decompression valve or spark plug threads.

I still haven't seen the results of a compression test, which compression should be a healthy 145psi +, and a leaking base gasket wouldn't affect that.

Don't think the 460 has a "head" gasket. Cylinder and the head are all one piece. Only thing that could simulate that type of failure would be a leaking decompression valve or spark plug threads.

I still haven't seen the results of a compression test, which compression should be a healthy 145psi +, and a leaking base gasket wouldn't affect that.

Its been a long time since I squash mine. I knew we did not pull the piston when it was changed, but we did make our owen gasket.

got the saw back from the shop friday..ran it a little today...all i can say is wow....it got a new dual port muffler, new carb, crank seals, cylinder gasket, fuel line, fuel filter, and a new rope and handle......runs like a new one...and i love the new sound..

got the saw back from the shop friday..ran it a little today...all i can say is wow....it got a new dual port muffler, new carb, crank seals, cylinder gasket, fuel line, fuel filter, and a new rope and handle......runs like a new one...and i love the new sound..

Glad to hear you're up and screaming again!

Status
Not open for further replies.