crap I need help with stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xena

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2005
South Shore MA
Hi guys. I am in the process of changing
the way the pipe comes off the back of
my pellet stove. The way I had it set up,
the cleanout T was too far back into the
fireplace making it difficult to get to the
cleanout without pulling the stove out.

So, I bought an elbow and hoped to
connect it up to the flex pipe. Prior
experience told me that the flex wasn't
so flexible but I was hoping to somehow
get it into the connector to the elbow
and button everything up but I cannot
get the flex to bend sufficiently.
What the hell should I do now?
Here's a link to a picture showing the setup.
Nothing is secured yet, just pushed together
to show how I want it to be.
Any suggestions on how to get this to work would be greatly appreciated.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/sporty04/dilemna.jpg

Looks like too much hardware in too little space. I'd be tempted to just come out of the stove with a short straight pipe connected directly to the elbow. For cleaning, disconnect the flex from the elbow. Or get an extension between the tee and the stove so that it falls inline with the flex and get rid of the elbow.

If that's a Quadrafire unit you can get a straight piece with a clean out trap on it. If you use something like that you could put that directly on the unit, then.... dunno...

Seems like the only way to clean it well would be to have it go straight down into a T then horizontal to the unit. All the extra bends in there is just going to make it harder.

Metal said:
You had it set up right before, I would switch it back.

Before sucked. Once the stove was set in place,
I couldn't reach the cleanout T. I can't see having
to yank a 300+ lb free standing stove out to gain
access to a cleanout T.

BeGreen said:
I'd be tempted to just come out of the stove with a short
straight pipe connected directly to the elbow.

I want the T right off the back of the stove for ease of cleaning. If I went with a straight pipe
directly to the elbow, I'd still be having to pull the stove out every time I needed to clean the exhaust pipe.

jtp it's a St. Croix Prescott not a Quad.

Here's before:

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/sporty04/?action=view&current=teeconnector.jpg

Not sure if it's possible but....
What if you put it back the way it was before and at the bottom of the tee add a 90 and short section of pipe and a cap pointing towards whatever side you want to work from.
Then at least you could have access and a starting point for the brush, though it may look ugly......

EDIT... I think this is what JTP was talking about.....

GVA said:
Not sure if it's possible but....
What if you put it back the way it was before and at the bottom of the tee add a 90 and short section of pipe and a cap pointing towards whatever side you want to work from.
Then at least you could have access and a starting point for the brush, though it may look ugly......

EDIT... I think this is what JTP was talking about.....

I'm a little confused. From where the flex comes down and where the stove is sitting now - are you able to get to it and clean it without moving the stove? If so, then you sould able to drop straight down from there, and connect with either a T or a 90* elbow which you could take out pretty easily for access. I kind of think we are all saying the same thing here, but making the connection lower would probably clean it up a bit, and take out 1 bend.

EDIT: - went on the link again, and didn't see any "before" pictures, so I'm not sure if I'm missing anything.

OK, I can't draw worth a darn but let's try it in words. Use the tee in the same position that you have it in the new setup but attach it where the part of the tee now pointing down is coming straight out of the back of the stove. Position it where the "snout" of the tee is aimed down and use that as your cleanout. At the far end of the tee from the stove use the 90* elbow to turn straight up from the end of the tee to the flex liner. The elbow should allow you some slight angle adjustment to line up with the liner.

Edit:

Here is a hacked up cut and paste to give ya the idea.

Attachments

• patchjob.jpg
    patchjob.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 356
You cloud try 2 45 DEG elbows it will push out a bit if you put the first one on and the second one facing up it should let you catcth the liner

BrotherBart said:
OK, I can't draw worth a darn but let's try it in words. Use the tee in the same position that you have it in the new setup but attach it where the part of the tee now pointing down is coming straight out of the back of the stove. Position it where the "snout" of the tee is aimed down and use that as your cleanout. At the far end of the tee from the stove use the 90* elbow to turn straight up from the end of the tee to the flex liner. The elbow should allow you some slight angle adjustment to line up with the liner.

Edit:

Here is a hacked up cut and paste to give ya the idea.

Another suggestion to this picture (which someone may have already suggested in different words)-----when you put the "tee" unit in the horizontal pipe section right behind the stove, turn the "tee" section so the cleanout stub points out horizontally (parallel with the floor) instead of pointing down toward the floor. That would ease access when trying to clean.

Good luck, and let us know what solution gets your seal of approval.

BTB

Wouldn't it be nice if reality was more like Photoshop?

Eric Johnson said:

Yeah. I could have spent six hours knocking out background and blending it to look like it was installed the way I suggested. And then after all that have somebody say "That is stupid Bart. What is she going to do about...".

And have half a day shot to hell for nothing.

zeta is a biker babe. She will know what the pic is suggesting. I have ten bucks that says she is doing that piping job herself. And cleans the chimney too.

ZEta the donor installation crew could be at your home Sunday, to figure out all options and finally get it setup..
If it is as differcult as I think, you might want to wear some ear plugs, because some F bombs may slip out.

Summer ale is all you need that and RTV caulking.. Possibly a pizza run

BrotherBart said:
Eric Johnson said:

Yeah. I could have spent six hours knocking out background and blending it to look like it was installed the way I suggested. And then after all that have somebody say "That is stupid Bart. What is she going to do about...".

And have half a day shot to hell for nothing.

Actually, I think you did a good job. My (weak) point was that it would be nice if modifications like that were as easy to do in reality as it is in Photoshop. I've been known to make the workplace safer thanks to photo manipulation. As a journalism graduate I hate to admit it, but it's true.

Eric Johnson said:
My (weak) point was that it would be nice if modifications like that were as easy to do in reality as it is in Photoshop.

I hear ya. If things could be done just by moving pictures around your woodpile would be in my backyard right now.

BrotherBart said:
Eric Johnson said:
My (weak) point was that it would be nice if modifications like that were as easy to do in reality as it is in Photoshop.

I hear ya. If things could be done just by moving pictures around your woodpile would be in my backyard right now.
I think Microsoft is working on this (drag and drop) feature,,,,,,, just a couple mouse clicks..... :cheese:

BrotherBart said:
Eric Johnson said:

DOH!@

BeGreen said:
I'd be tempted to just come out of the stove with
a short straight pipe connected directly to the elbow.
For cleaning, disconnect the flex from the elbow.

The flex won't reach the elbow. And even if it
would have, once the flex is sealed into the elbow
with the thing that connects the two, it's a real
pita separating them without damaging something.

BeGreen said:
Or get an extension between the tee and the stove
so that it falls inline with the flex and get rid of the elbow.

That is the way I had it before. (See before link in my second post above)
Like I said, the problem is that it puts the T so far back into the fireplace that
I can't reach back there to remove the T cap to clean without
pulling the stove out of the way.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Some of them seem
like great ideas but would really look unsightly, so in the end
I guess the best thing to do is put it back the way it was and
deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.