Crazy, but seasoning works.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred Fields

Dec 27, 2012
This is going to sound nuts to most of you out there. After doing some hard scraping on the burn pot to remove the hard black build up I had a crazy idea. Why not "season" it like we do our cast iron skillets? So after a through cleaning of my Enviro, I rubbed the burn pot and the interior back walls down with some good old fashion kitchen grease. After letting it soak in for a few hours, I fired up the stove. Well ya know what I was expecting,,,,a big burn off of the grease or at least a lot of smoke. But it never happened. It never burned, it never even smoked.
I clean my stove weekly, if it needs it or not. Now I'm seasoning it each time, but it's becoming less and less because it is doing trick. No more hard build up of the black flack that I used to get. Clean up time is less and less. The interior of the stove is getting blacker and blacker instead of the ash grey that it would in the past.
I told ya it sounded crazy. But it's working for me. Thoughts???

Welcome to the boards!

Willing to attempt almost anything!
And yes, it sounds crazy!
Have you spoke with the voices in your head about this?
Do they concur? Let us know...

Bill

Reactions: jgrz0610
With getting close to Thanksgiving, thread sounded like cooking advise.:) I used to rub graphite dust into the pot parts of a Santa Fe to keep it from having sticky clinkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.