Crazy Northeast Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scfa99

Hearth Supporter
Was 80 degrees yesterday in parts of NJ, tonight rain, tomorrow morning snow and possible 6-12 inches of snow. What a tease. I love snow, but after yesterday this is just wrong. Got the stove all packed and ready to light, its 45 outside so I'm going to kick it off soon. Hope everyone still has plenty of dry wood left to get through the next couple of weeks.

Got wood for the next couple days and thats it. After that the stove comes out and I do a nice hearth update. Going to extend it in all directions. Right now its flush with the floor. I'll post before and after pictures.

As long as its snow.... give me a foot or 2.... no problem..... if there's sleet and freezing rain... I'm not going to be liking it much.

Just pulled in the last of my pile. The smaller 8-14" long splits that are at the end of the pile I laid out to be used this winter... Snow blower ready and waiting. I've only used it once this year and that was on 3" of sleet/ice. Don't want that $#%@#$ again.

Harley said:
As long as its snow.... give me a foot or 2.... no problem..... if there's sleet and freezing rain... I'm not going to be liking it much.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
cross your fingers because it looks like the valentines day storm again.... it is going to track to close again

We did not get any of that but it is cold out there. Below freezing all day and now the temperature is falling fast. Teens again tonight. Great for maply syrup making though.

Still have plenty of seasoned wood on hand. Enough for 2 winters and at least double that of green wood.

Looks to be nasty!!!! Damm you New England weather! My pile of logs had just thawed enough for me to make progress!

iceman said:
Harley said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
cross your fingers because it looks like the valentines day storm again.... it is going to track to close again

Its looking that way, and that was a bit of a PIA - even if it is all ice - it won't last too long at this time of year... still keeping my fingers crossed for just a good dumping of nice snow!!

Hard Woods said:
Looks to be nasty!!!! Damm you New England weather! My pile of logs had just thawed enough for me to make progress!

There's still plenty of time, HW - I think Elk mentioned a while ago possibly bringing out the splitter, or I've always got mine here... that sounds like only a day's work to get it all split up - no problem (you gotta supply the beer though... :cheese: )

Definetly Harley. I have split a bit by hand but there is some large rounds! What kind of splitter do you have?

No kidding...they're saying over 24" in my area by tomorrow night.....Got the plow truck all ready to go again. At least this time Im not working during it so I can keep up with plowing. Last time when I started the plow, I couldnt budge the 40+ we had gotten and had to hire a loader to dig me out!! Earlier this year they predicted a noreaster and it ended up tracking too far south and we never saw a flake......hmmm maybe this time too????? I can always dream cant I??? I was just getting to be able to see grass peeking thru on some fields around here!!!!

I don't want to see any snow at this point.
Went out for a ride on the bike the other day...now this?
F that. Was contemplating removing the plow stuff from
the Jeep this weekend....guess instead I'll be getting
the blade on sometime today but you know how that
goes....Get the vehicle ready and then it doesn't snow.
8-/

Getting kind of nasty out now. I91N was closed for a little while... cars off the road all over the place. I sent everyone home a while ago... gonna pack up some work and head home in a bit (good thing its mostly back-roads home). I hope the package stores aren't closing early... no fun shoveling and plowing without a few beers!!

Just got round one of plowing done with the new old Intl. Works like a charm, what a beast.
The Ranger on the other hand.............. I hate lil trucks, 2wd to boot. Pulled it down the drive to plow around the spot it was... stuck, spinning away on level snow. Sheesh
I see a 4wd everyday vehicle in my future.

Hogwildz said:
Just got round one of plowing done with the new old Intl. Works like a charm, what a beast.
The Ranger on the other hand.............. I hate lil trucks, 2wd to boot. Pulled it down the drive to plow around the spot it was... stuck, spinning away on level snow. Sheesh

When I got my first 4WD everyday driver I was a happy pup. Winter came along shortly and we got a big snow while I was at work. On the long back roads commute home up ahead I saw two cars off the road. To miss each other one had gone off on one side and one on the other side. I was grinning. New tow straps in the back of my new 4WD. Good Samaritan time!

As I got closer I saw that one was a shiny new BMW and the other was a shiny Lexus.

Drove my new Chevy Blazer right between'em and went home.

Yup, 21 degrees, wind from the north, 6" on the ground and coming down moderately, radar's showin the heavy stuff just south knockin on our doorstep. woodracks's piled high, stoves' hummin along nice and easy, still got 4 cords dry outside covered. And two days ago, my 20 year old son and I were pullin in all the dead lying and standing red and white oak we could manage from my back woods and its was friggin 7o degrees! and lets see, a week ago tues, we had a wind chill moment of -45. Love NH weather! Except, god gawd, sleet by early am, and %&#!@ heavy rain towards dawn..Mercy, mercy!

WOO HOO I just saw an update and it looks like the rain may not push this far north just mix of snow sleet after midnight.
Well I guess I should go out and start shoveling....... Just in case...... The weathermen do lie......

GVA said:
WOO HOO I just saw an update and it looks like the rain may not push this far north just mix of snow sleet after midnight.
Well I guess I should go out and start shoveling....... Just in case...... The weathermen do lie......

It rained for 24 hours straight here and then the sleet started an hour ago.

BrotherBart said:
GVA said:

It rained for 24 hours straight here and then the sleet started an hour ago.
So far here it's better than the Feb 14 storm 4" of snow then 3" of rain followed by a Hard freeze.......And a 6" solid block of Ice for a driveway and yard.
followed by several days of chipping and salting. I LOVE NEW ENGLAND WEATHER :cheese:

Still snowing here in Abbottstown, Pa. just west of York. We got at least 8 inches on the ground now. Started as rain, then sleet, then heavy snow since around 11 am.

Going out to shovel!

I threw a chain on the blower tonight. I hope I don't hit it when I go out to clear the driveway off again.

Matt

Been out plowing the past 5 hours ice is mixing in and the temp has risen to 28 we are past 8"

BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:

When I got my first 4WD everyday driver I was a happy pup. Winter came along shortly and we got a big snow while I was at work. On the long back roads commute home up ahead I saw two cars off the road. To miss each other one had gone off on one side and one on the other side. I was grinning. New tow straps in the back of my new 4WD. Good Samaritan time!

As I got closer I saw that one was a shiny new BMW and the other was a shiny Lexus.

Drove my new Chevy Blazer right between'em and went home.

I hate to say this, but I might have done the same thing. Unless they was female and cute LOL :)

Still going strong out here now - got home, maybe 11-12" - shoveled off the decks... did a few passes with the POS plow truck, now back inside with another 3-4 on the decks... Think I'm going to leave that until tomorrow in case the sleet comes... The way its going now, we should easily see the 20+ they called for.

And I know we've got a few weathermen here now..... so I'll just say... first time you guys got it right in this area this year :lol: .... but if it goes a lot more than that ... I'm gonna be pissed.

I think Web, and Webwidow are going to be in for a little shock, after being in nice, sunny 80* weather in Reno

Status
Not open for further replies.