Creosote Cleaner Products

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PunKid8888

Feeling the Heat
Nov 25, 2008
South East NH
I have a small tub of this Creosote Cleaner that is the constancy of sand. You put a scoop on some hot coals (wood fire) and then let the fire die out. I have used it in my wood stove and it does help, the next fire I will always hear some Creosote falling inside the pipe.

Sooooooo........ has anyone used this type of product on there pellet stove? or will I have to be the Ginny pig?

PunKid8888 said:
I have a small tub of this Creosote Cleaner that is the constancy of sand. You put a scoop on some hot coals (wood fire) and then let the fire die out. I have used it in my wood stove and it does help, the next fire I will always hear some Creosote falling inside the pipe.

Sooooooo........ has anyone used this type of product on there pellet stove? or will I have to be the Ginny pig?

I have not used it but did not find any sticky tar residue in my pipes, I just tapped on the outside and said that is good enough. It was only powdery carbon that did not cling to the pipe, a light brush would be all that would be required to clean thoroughly. I suspect the Creosote Cleaner may contain caustic soda or other corrosive chemicals that work by leaving a residue, that may be not be compatable with the combustion blower or piping. You still have to remove the ash from wherever it drops.
Give it a try if your stove is really gummed up, otherwise I would try traditional cleaning.

Pellet stoves normally don't have any issues with creosote.....I doubt it would help keep the pipes any cleaner than without.

Like the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", I'd leave well enough alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.