Creosote evaporation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoilerMan

Minister of Fire
Apr 16, 2012
Northern Maine
Ok, well this is not a problem I have, rather, to settle a question I was asked. In theory would creosote evaporate out of a flue, considering it is condensed smoke? Heating a flue to the point of evaporation but not to the point of ignition.

We were having a discussion about wood-burning at work and this came up. It actually got me wondering, in theory would this be true? I must repeat I do not have creosote or have had and issues with it in my wood-fired appliances! this is just for the fun of discussion.

TS

I've always thought of it as particulates that got caught on water condensed onto a cool flue. I don't think they would evaporate since they are solid, but I think they will wash their way down if you get enough water down your chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.