Creosote.... The good bad and the ugly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose

Sep 27, 2007
The North Country, NY
So I cleaned one of my chimneys today and I found myself thinking. (my first mistake) I was thinking that since creosote is formed my the with warm, moist, unburnt gases condensating to the cool walls of the chimney. then creosote is in turn a source of fuel (hence chimney fires) In my mind I would think that instead of throwing it out It could be recycled and re-burnt in the stove. I thought that it might just re-stick to the chimney, but most all of the moisture is already removed from the creosote therefore nothing to condensate. If I had to guess I would guess that it is a whole lot drier than the wood that I burn. The only concern that I can come up with is if the burn temp of the creosote would exceed the recommended burning temp for my stove. but if I just stuck a cup full in with every load I'm thinking I would be fine. or even better sprinkle some on some hot coals. This way there is no moisture from the wood. I donno just a thought. I'm really interested to see what everyone has to say.

So you tried to burn it didn't you? These are the kinds of things you do in your BBQ, outside firepit, or even on the garage floor. Take a cup, set it on the ground, and put a match to it. If that doesn't work then add a dash of pertroleum to try and get things going.

Highbeam said:
So you tried to burn it didn't you? These are the kinds of things you do in your BBQ, outside firepit, or even on the garage floor. Take a cup, set it on the ground, and put a match to it. If that doesn't work then add a dash of pertroleum to try and get things going.

Aah, nope hadn't tried it and nope not putting a cup of gasoline soaked creosote on my back porch and lighting it. Already know it will burn Just wanted people's thoughts on recycling it in the wood stove.

one of my set up's does create a little more creosote than I would like, but nothing crazy or dangerous been burning my whole life and trust me the stoves from the 70's and 80's were creosote factories. I am no where near that level. I don't have an overabundance of aluminum cans, But I still take the 6pak of soda cans that I drink a month to be recycled. I don't take much to the land fill. I try to find uses for everything. Was just trying to do the same here. Its not like if I don't find something to do with it, it is going to spill over into the neighbors yard or anything.

Here are some uses from Wikipedia:

"Wood creosote has been used as a disinfectant, a laxative, and a cough treatment, but these have mostly been replaced by newer medicines. The popular Japanese anti-diarrheal Seirogan has 133mg creosote (from beech, maple or oak wood) per adult dose as its primary ingredient."

I've never done it, but don't see why you couldn't sprinkle a cup or so back into your stove. Nothing wrong with recycling.

I leave the stuff in the ashes in the stove when I clean the chimney and then just light the fire and go ahead on. Never noticed anything weird happening.

You could burn it, or you could dump it in the yard for fertilizer, grow some veggies, make a salad, get some energy by eating it, go out in the woods and cut some trees, split them up, burn them and make some new creosote: repeat. (LOL)
Seriously, it burns but you would need to mix it in.

I'm in the same boat as BrotherBart when I sweep the chimney anything that comes down will just stay in the stove or burn up till I shovel it out never had any adverse reactions from it

Status
Not open for further replies.