Critiques of Blaze King Stoves...Exist ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be nice to see a cat-stove that was actually easy to maintain -- without tools, from the front & with chimney/stovepipe cleaning ease!
Sounds like the Progress....

I clean top down with the bypass open. I can then reach up with my hand and get everything that doesn't make it into the belly of the stove.
Can it be cleaned bottom up for those that can't or won't go up on the roof? If yes, what is entailed?

I as yet have always isolated the stove for fear of contaminating the cat with soot.

I clean top down with the bypass open. I can then reach up with my hand and get everything that doesn't make it into the belly of the stove.
Pull your pipe up some time. You'd be surprised what's laying between the bypass and the backside of the cat.

Pull your pipe up some time. You'd be surprised what's laying between the bypass and the backside of the cat.

Don't need to. With the bypass open I can push the bypass plate up enough to clean that area.

Reactions: Highbeam
Don't need to. With the bypass open I can push the bypass plate up enough to clean that area.

I clean that after every chimney sweeping. I stick a shop vac hose up there, and brush the crud into the hose with my fingers if there's a lot of it. (It has just occurred to me that I should fabricate a "U" for my shop vac, and I could clean it without the brushing.)

I clean that after every chimney sweeping. I stick a shop vac hose up there, and brush the crud into the hose with my fingers if there's a lot of it. (It has just occurred to me that I should fabricate a "U" for my shop vac, and I could clean it without the brushing.)
The inserts not bad at all since it had an angled flue collar. But on a stove I always pull the pipe up and sweep this area from above.

Thanks for all the critiques.
One big question: why are BK stoves much more $$$$ than similar stoves with similar specs ?

One big question: why are BK stoves much more $$$$ than similar stoves with similar specs ?
One reason is because of the thermostatic control. It's extremely difficult to pass the EPA testing. Each pass/fail costs hundreds and hundred of thousands of dollars. Ever wonder why no one else is doing it?

Webby, just to clarify, with the bypass open I can push the bypass plate up (on the cat side) enough that I can touch the back of the cat. I used to pull the pipe until I discovered I could do this. Now I just open and shut the bypass a few times to get the creosote off the plate, then I can get to it all with my hand.

Reactions: Squisher
One reason is because of the thermostatic control. It's extremely difficult to pass the EPA testing. Each pass/fail costs hundreds and hundred of thousands of dollars. Ever wonder why no one else is doing it?
Can't be, VC had a thermostatic control +/- a couple of decades ago. Even those creosote makers Ashley had one.
So why so much more $$$ ? All wood stove makers have R & D and ISO regs and quality control and marketing and .....

Can't be, VC had a thermostatic control +/- a couple of decades ago. Even those creosote makers Ashley had one.
So why so much more $$$ ? All wood stove makers have R & D and ISO regs and quality control and marketing and .....
I'm well aware of that.....
Blaze kings control actually works though! These others never ran low or slow did they? To get one dialed in to burn clean at these low output rates is next to impossible.

How does a PH compare in price to a Princess? We can compare fire box size I guess, while omitting burn times..

I can guarantee you the majority of actual BK owners here would not hesitate to recommend or buy BK again.

Its unlikely I'd ever purchase another stove not manufactured by blaze king.

Reactions: webby3650

Because they're worth it. ;)

Honestly I didn't believe the "hype" before I bought mine in 2011. I found a new never burned floor model stove that was selling for $1200 so I bought it. It was a deal of a lifetime and didn't cost me a dime after selling my 2 year old Lopi Endeavor. After burning the stove for a week I understood/believed all the hype. At this point the stove just does it's job. It's a repeatable process that's damn near the same load after load. It's never tried to "run away" on me and has always done exactly what I expect it to do. It's really silly how repeatable it is load after load.

I will say my chimney is much dirtier than my Lopi was when I sweep the chimney. I did fix some air leaks in the flue collar this year so maybe that will help some.

Reactions: Highbeam and tarzan
Yes it can. With a viper or sooteater. I do it all the time.
Good deal. Is this with the Princess, the Ashford or both? What is the process?

Good deal. Is this with the Princess, the Ashford or both? What is the process?

Same as with top down. You sweep the flue and then suck the junk out of the cat chamber. I sooteater my bk.

Good opinions so far but I'll also add some of mine.

Very dry wood or access to compressed sawdust logs/blocks(NEILS,Eco bricks etc) is a must.
The alien technology can't do a thing with moderate and above moisture content wood.

The dealer network.
I hold BKVP and the company themselves in the highest regard.The dealer not so much.

The glass cruds up and yes you can clean it like I did/do with the wet newspaper and ash trick which gets most of it off. However I also left a scratch about one inch long from doing this(very narrow and nearly unnoticeable, but this method does risk that).

They aren't all perfect.mine is close.I don't know if this is a bad weld or another dealer installation mistake but my stove door is slightly unbalanced.
Looking at it straight on it appears like it is hung with the top tilting a bit to the left,like a picture.It was driving me crazy at first trying to figure out why the stove just looked like something was uneven.I figured it out by putting my pinky finger between the door and the steel body of the stove and starting at the bottom and making my way up.Pinky easily fits on the bottom but gets tighter and then completely unable to make it the entire way up.Just a reverse scenario on the other side of the door,bigger gap up top that narrows as you go down.It even makes the door handle appear to not point straight down.
Might be trivial to some,might even be just a bolt that someone will tell me to adjust but either way it's a slight weld defect or once again the dealer.

I don't know if the picture I attach will help,it's best to notice in person about 10 feet back when taking the whole room into perspective.

All this said,I love my BK Chinook 30 and would not trade it for any other manufacturers offerings.

20161202_200426.jpg

Attachments

• 20161202_200426.jpg
    20161202_200426.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 157
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh,and did I mention the dealer?
I'm sure you must have seen the Blaze King "free fans" promotion with a new stove ad popping up the last few months on this site.
Well,despite seeing this ad before purchase,during the waiting period to install,and after installed.My fans were not free.
Again,dealer issue and not corporate I'm sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.