Crown Saver

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJ273

Minister of Fire
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
Recently had the top of my chimney rebuilt, as well as a new crown. Has anyone used this product? Any reviews? Also, the mason is going to spray the crown with Siloxane, along with the rest of the chimney. I plan to wait a week or so after that, but would it be OK to brush the product on the crown after the Siloxane is sprayed on it about a week later?

Recently had the top of my chimney rebuilt, as well as a new crown. Has anyone used this product? Any reviews? Also, the mason is going to spray the crown with Siloxane, along with the rest of the chimney. I plan to wait a week or so after that, but would it be OK to brush the product on the crown after the Siloxane is sprayed on it about a week later?
If the crown is done properly there is absolutely no reason to use crown saver. Infact if done properly there is no reason to use a dealer either.

Reactions: webby3650
i had some minor cracks, did it, over 3 years now, holding ok, no s/s of wear.

i had some minor cracks, did it, over 3 years now, holding ok, no s/s of wear.
Yes it isn't a bad solution for a crown that is in good shape with just a few cracks

Reactions: webby3650
If he seals the the crown I doubt crown sealer will bond anyway.

Reactions: bholler
If he seals the the crown I doubt crown sealer will bond anyway.
That was my question, ive been using siloxane but noticed a couple small cracks, was going to use crown seal but not sure if it will adhere, Bholler, what do you think is best solution for some cracks appearing and dont want them to get worse? I was going to skip siloxane this year and try the crown seal.

That was my question, ive been using siloxane but noticed a couple small cracks, was going to use crown seal but not sure if it will adhere, Bholler, what do you think is best solution for some cracks appearing and dont want them to get worse? I was going to skip siloxane this year and try the crown seal.
The answer is to fix the masonry.

Use an elastomeric concrete crack sealer on the cracks. It holds up pretty well.