Current pellet demand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackngold122112

Aug 13, 2010
Central MA
Just curious what people think of the current supply/demand for pellets right now. Pellets direct has a big scare tactic ad. I think the supply is fine and the demand is moderate. No
need to panic, although I m not sure if prices will move much.

Blackngold122112 said:
Just curious what people think of the current supply/demand for pellets right now. Pellets direct has a big scare tactic ad. I think the supply is fine and the demand is moderate. No
need to panic, although I m not sure if prices will move much.

Do you have a link to the ad or can you scan it. About the only problem I see is Jon Strimling stealing their customer base with woodpellets.com, formally pelletsales.com

I have a scare tactic for them...how about sitting on 500 tons for a month. Thats scary.

Check em out: http://www.pelletsdirect.com/09-10 Early Buy Pricing.htm

Barefoots ok, Linetics...eh. Potomacs, eh. O'malley, eh., Treecycle...please. Crappy website.

Get with it. Southshorewoodpellets.com and woodpellets.com is eating their lunch.

We seem to see this at least somewhere every year. AHHH the pellets shortage and the prices will increase yadda yadda!

I see a good supply and the pellets are moving but also coming in to. I can say that in my 10 plus years burning we always see some type of an increase just about the time the season starts. I have only seen one year that we had a major drop in prices during the season, This is in general and not counting sales.

j-takeman said:
We seem to see this at least somewhere every year. AHHH the pellets shortage and the prices will increase yadda yadda!

I see a good supply and the pellets are moving but also coming in to. I can say that in my 10 plus years burning we always see some type of an increase just about the time the season starts. I have only seen one year that we had a major drop in prices during the season, This is in general and not counting sales.

x2. The only thing I see is more of a logistical one. The big difference I see this year, after selling these things for 17 years, is many folks are waiting much later to purchase. many people have procrastinated, or due to the economy, just havent bought yet, but intend to. the issue might possibly be a trucking one. If everyone waits until the night before the first frost to order, it is going to be darn difficult to get trucks in, all at once to cover the demand, and even more difficult to deliver to all of our customers if they all wait, and this will certainly extend lead times. There are alot of pellets out there, and, barring any unforeseen calamity, prices should remain about where they are. I dont think they will go up much, if at all, but I also dont feel they will drop much, if at all. Anyhow, thats how I see it.

Lousyweather said:
j-takeman said:

x2. The only thing I see is more of a logistical one. The big difference I see this year, after selling these things for 17 years, is many folks are waiting much later to purchase. many people have procrastinated, or due to the economy, just havent bought yet, but intend to. the issue might possibly be a trucking one. If everyone waits until the night before the first frost to order, it is going to be darn difficult to get trucks in, all at once to cover the demand, and even more difficult to deliver to all of our customers if they all wait, and this will certainly extend lead times. There are alot of pellets out there, and, barring any unforeseen calamity, prices should remain about where they are. I dont think they will go up much, if at all, but I also dont feel they will drop much, if at all. Anyhow, thats how I see it.

X2,

I speak to alot of different retailers and distributors, all are saying the same thing.

j-takeman said:

Last year around here I saw prices drop the first week of sept. Actually the savings came from quantity buys, the more tons you bought the lower the per ton price. If you bought 3 tons they took of 50 per ton if 4 tons 100 off per ton ect..

We have a great supply and a steady demand. Starting to notice people calling on pricing and availability but waiting to order until late September. I think this year supply will not be an issue maybe same for next year. If enough pellet mills close and people buy stoves we will be back into the shortage. I see that in three years from now looking back on old data. There is a pattern to it.

So I just got a service request from my website....Helen, your opinion is welcome here...so let me post it for you. She is also copying this review and posting it to other websites. I'm going to make a call and see if she works there.

"Watch out for this company. Consumers Watch Out! Do they have insurance and proper licenses to be installing and servicing stove? Make sure you get proper documentation showing this Certs of Insurance and cc of Contractors License. And do not be afraid to call their insurance company to verify the paperwork is valid. Have known contractors to alter their paperwork. Have been a customer of Pellets Direct for the past six years and Pellet Stove Service has been making false statements that are clearly not true. Pellets Direct does not advertise any big scare tatics on their web page. Take the time to check it out www.pelletsdirect.com and you can clearly see that this is false. This company is clearly trying to enhance the business to two other companies by referencing them in their comment. Consumers Watch Out, companies that act in this type of manner are clearly not operating on the honest side and could affect you in the end."

Hey Helen, I did not start the thread! What I'm saying is that pelletsdirect has a crappy website and two others locally have better websites. Pelletsdirect also only carries 1 brand that I would put into a customer's stove. I suppose if you sell a bunch of crap then there is better customer base for repairs. SSWP happens to have a very similar lineup of pellets too but they do carry a super premium hardwood, a super premium softwood and their website doesn't look like it was assembled by a 6 year old, though to be honest it could use some improving too. I said nothing of pelletsdirect's service. Have no knowledge of it. C'mon down to my office and I'll show you all the licenses and insurance papers your need.

please forward all your reply concerning this: Helen Green: [email protected]

SMW so why did she pick on you? This is an open forum and we say things freely here. It isn't like we have a banner add saying chit about them.

I wonder if she was one of the first year costumers, That had to wait well into the winter to get her fuel. They had a shakey start and ticked many off. Most though we had another scam going. There is post's here on that too somewhere!

This is what found on there site. I guess it could scare a few into hurrying into there purchase. But the seasoned vets no better!

**Due to current heavy demand for Premium Grade Wood Pellets Pellets Direct LLC will book and fill orders on a First come First Serve Basis.

Quantities may be limited at any time due to this heavy demand. Premium Grade Wood Pellets ordered will be set for delivery upon placement of order.

Be prepared for the 2010-2011 heating season. ORDER NOW to Secure your Fuel Supply!!!

I will let you all be the judge? But if anything the "heavy demand" was in the spring were most of us picked up our pellets.

Just checked out your website SMW, I would not be knocking any body elses website. Besides, aren't you the guy putting business cards into ramdom stoves in home depots!????????????

Panic buyers are good for business. ;-)

IMO we should pay attention to the company behind the curtain, not how good their
website looks. Anyone can build one these days, especially with all the free templates available.

I would definitely rate O'Malley as 'eh' but Lignetics IMO are at least a 'good'. The hardwood stuff I had 2 years ago was 'really good' but the stuff I have from last year (Hardwood and Conifer) has more fines and ash - still a 'good' though. I also have Barefoots and I would give them a 'very good' and Hamer's which I give a 'very good.'

Although not the greatest web site either (but it does the job), I buy mine from Jeff at Eastern Ct Pellets in Norwich, CT (http://pelletsdelivered.com) because he's a good guy, knows his pellets, and burns what he sells (although I'm not sure if he actually burns those O'Malley's!).

hotpellet said:
Just checked out your website SMW, I would not be knocking any body elses website. Besides, aren't you the guy putting business cards into ramdom stoves in home depots!????????????

Not random stoves...EVERY stove. ;-P I just do whatever works.

I found this part of the ad rather amusing ..............New Enhanced Heat Output Treecycle Hardwood Pellets............... Seriously...... The only way those pellets burned was if you soaked them in gasoline.......

Status
Not open for further replies.