1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Cutting back a Privet hedge

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by MrGriz, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrGriz

MrGriz New Member

Loc:
    Waterford, WI
    Ok, I'm going to try out the new forum and ask for some help from all of you arborists and gardeners out there.

I have a row of privet (sp?) hedge about 50' - 60' long, which runs along part of my lot line. The hedge had gotten way out of control and was very 'leggy'. Last weekend, I cut it back to about 12" high.

My question is: did I cut back enough, or should I have taken it almost to the ground?

I want to give it a new start, so I can keep it managed and looking better over the next few years.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  3. zzr7ky

zzr7ky Minister of Fire

Hi -

It'll grow back excessively thick and stringy (to my taste) unless one cuts some of the roots to keep things in balance. I use an ordinary shovel, cutting just inside the width I'd like, and every other shovel width. So it ends up looking like a dotted/perforated line.

ATB,
    Mike P
  4. MrGriz

MrGriz New Member

Loc:
    Waterford, WI
    Thanks for the advice. I do want it to grow back thick and stringy so it looks like I'm on the right track.
  5. fespo

fespo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South West burbs of Chicago
    You did fine, Now as they grow, don't let grow all the way up. After about a foot of new growth, just nip the top leaders to a uniform level. This will allow them to thicken up as they grow. do the same thing for every foot or so of growth. Privets are the fastest to grow.I grew -up and ran my family landscaping business for over 20 years. trust me you did fine.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.