Cutting sheet metal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those snips come in handy, I got both the right and left for about $25 each when I was roofing our cottage with standing seam steel panels. Since then, I've found them useful for a myriad of tasks. Take your time cutting if you are new at it. Wear some work gloves and you might have to "help" the piece you are cutting off now and then, keep it curling up and away from the snips [tug on it with one hand]. If you go slowly and carefully, you'll end up with clean and straight cut. Don't get junk snips; won't last through a couple feet of cutting without dulling.

BeGreen said:
Make some practice cuts first, wide of the final mark.

Yes, not only will your cuts get better as you go, the waste side will curl away easier as it gets narrower and there will be less chance of introducing a kink or a twist to the metal.

Also, it is common practice to hit the corners of the cut edge with a sharp file to make a small chamfer. The edges will both look better and be much less likely to cause a cut if someone runs their hand along it. Only takes a couple of minutes and it gives a real finished look.

Status
Not open for further replies.