Cutting with snow or no snow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andyrlee

Oct 19, 2009
Northern WI
Probably a wierd question, but since I'm just getting into this my original thought was to do all my wood cutting, splitting and stacking in the fall.

I personally want to avoid spring, summer if possible cause of ticks and mosquitos.

Winter in Northern Wisconsin has over a foot of snow.

Do you guys work in Winter?

Actually cutting firewood can be easier in winter if there's not to much snow.Almost getting to late for me in the western U.P. we have about 80 inches so far.But what I do is use my heavy duty ice fishing sled to haul wood out of the woods,I cut it up in blocks put it in the sled and drag it out than split it rite there on the road! Works very good. Otter sled makes a good one. Good luck and HAPPY NEW YEAR !

I only cut wood in the winter. No bugs, no sweat, no leaves, sap is in the roots means less time to season, can wear gloves without sweating profusely. Whats not to like?

I make firewood all year long, provided there isn't so much snow in the winter that I can't get out there.

Snow over mosquitoes is a no brainer.

It's a good time to drag logs out of the woods/ no mud.

I do all my processing in March. I would rather work wearing a sweat shirt than a parka. By the end of March I have the third year out wood split and stacked . The only wood that I handle in the Winter is scrounged from storms or such. It goes into a pile for processing when the weather suits me

Yup,you have to stay on the frosty side when your body is working hard, like splitting wood. You want to avoid any sweating even if it means just working for short periods in a T shirt. Sweat is the ally of most cold weather injuries, avoid that, take you time and it can be an enjoyable experience. Like was mentioned no mud, bugs, frozen ground, easier dragging ....many pluses for winter cutting...

...never the less we're mostly spring cutters if you go by production numbers.

I like it because that's when my neighbor's windows are closed. Nobody cares when they're inside.

mtarbert said:
I would rather work wearing a sweat shirt than a parka.

LOL, if yer wearin a Parka, yer not workin hard enough :smirk:

As has been said over and over again . . . Winter is the best time to 'get wood'

1)Bass turd ticks, mosquitos, timber ratlesnakes can't handle the cold
2)Hard ground snow covered is the best for skidding. Though the logs end up snow covered, snow don't wreck saw chains the way mud/rocks do.
3)A good day's worth of cutting in the cod will make you sleep like a baby at night. Kinda like Good sex

Just watch for ice. Under foot or on your wood, it's bad news.

It's harder, but not impossible to dig your bar into the ground when there is a foot of snow on the ground.

Matt

I do my chainsaw work in the cold of Winter but I wait until Spring to do the splitting. I don't like running the splitter in really cold weather.

When I worked as a sawhand I preferred Winter work and would turn down Summer work if my bank account was in good shape. Only thing worse than mosquitoes is the damn blackflies!

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80474291/

No parka! If you work hard your skin is all the insulation you need,And remember the best wood is Morning WOOD! HAPPY NEW YEAR MAYBE SOME JOHNNY TONIGHT!!!

Attachments

• thumbnail.aspx.jpg
    thumbnail.aspx.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 454
Definitely winter. A foot of snow isn't bad but when it gets deeper than that, I quit cutting. We do all the splitting in March-April after the cold moderates a bit and hopefully some snow and ice has melted off the splitting pile.

RAMSAY said:
No parka! If you work hard your skin is all the insulation you need,And remember the best wood is Morning WOOD! HAPPY NEW YEAR MAYBE SOME JOHNNY TONIGHT!!!
LOL
Like they say, "if your feet are cold, put a hat on". Looks like you got it all covered.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
[ Though the logs end up snow covered, snow don't wreck saw chains the way mud/rocks do.

Yup. Prefer fall, but it's nice logbuckin when its atop 2' of snow. Mud season (mid march), there's often still a big snow pack with milder temps.

So my vote's mud.

andyrlee said:
Probably a wierd question, but since I'm just getting into this my original thought was to do all my wood cutting, splitting and stacking in the fall.

I personally want to avoid spring, summer if possible cause of ticks and mosquitos.

Winter in Northern Wisconsin has over a foot of snow.

I will saw and haul wood any time of year whenever and wherever it is available.

I usually save the splitting and stacking for early spring.

I live in western WA but I'm pretty sure I'd retain this pattern regardless of my location.

I too would rather work in the cold. Too hot in the summer, the work keeps you warm, and frozen wood splits much easier.

Seems like I am the odd ball (it's not the first time). I do not care to work firewood in the winter. Spring and Fall are the best here. Summer days that are not to hot are OK too. That said I do like to access some forest fire burnt spruce that can only be gotten to when the slew is frozen. Only the outside bark and branches burnt so it's the perfect dried standing ready to go wood.

I know for sure the wood splits easier with a maul in the winter than any other time.
I've just busted up some knurly twisted live birch into nice pieces, stuff that when thawed, wouldn't split by hand.
I used a snow machine to pack the snow & drag the tops to the brush pile.
I notice it's a little more tiring walking in the snow, but shorter daylight hours reduces work time.
10 to 20 °F , still have to shed a layer or 2 when splitting.
+ no bears or mosquitoes

Attachments

• birch a 12-09.jpg
    birch a 12-09.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 237
RAMSAY, thank you. I won't highlight that picture you posted, for fear of the damage it may cause future generations. In fact, I now feel visually beaten and scarred. :sick: Excuse me now, while I go gouge my eyes out with a spoon. Happy New Years to ALL!!

Fall, no snow yet, and no mud from snow melt. For me, if its to warm just head up a couple thousand more feet. Dry air in Colorado keeps temp perception low too.

Split some this morning. It was 2 degrees. I actually broke a sweat.

Status
Not open for further replies.