Cyberpower UPS question...What model is suggested?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
I want to get a UPS, this product come up a bunch of times...any particular model???? Thanks, Bill

I guess it depends on what you want it to do.
I bought mine specifically to give me enough time to to a full shut down or get the generator running. Works perfectly for that. It will run 30-60 minutes depending on convection blower speed.
It is also pure sine output. I originally bought an APC unit that was not and my fans made noises that indicated they were not quite right.

See my Sig for model.

Thanks! No plans for a generator at this point. We don't run the stove when we are not here so all I am looking for is to have enough time to allow for a full shut down. Our house is quite tight so my concern is smoke coming into the house. This and a properly sealed OAK will hopefully keep this from happening. Bill

Couple of things you'll need to make this work. One is the cyberpower that will have more than enough juice to run the stove on low for about a half hour(time it takes to normally shutdown). Second is a relay in the stat circuit to not have the stat to call for heat while on the back up power. Otherwise the stove will still be trying to run when the cyberpower runs out of juice.

There is a thread on the relay here. I think dbcooper was the member that posted the relay info. Hopefully he comes buy to assist with how he made that part work. I'm planning on the same thing and also looking into the whole house genny too! One that cranks up automatically. But its just wishful thinking as tough buying things when low on cash! Definetly want the cyberpower before spring.

Keep us posted! ;-)

we use the geeksquad battery back up... not sure if its pure sinewave or not without digging up the manual.
It does give us about 90 mins run time. plenty enough time to shut er down and do the generator thing and/or turn on the NG furnace.
Our gen is only 4k continuos and runs everything but the range, ac and dryer.

Thanks all! Thanks J-takeman...yeah that relay was my other question but don't need to worry about that yet. I've got to get off my butt and actually do this stuff!! Bill

I bought a Cyberpower CP850PFCLCD for my Ecoteck, to shut it down properly during a power failure. This unit has a high purity sine-wave output to keep the AC stove motors happy. I paid about $113 on Amazon. Works like a champ, gives plenty of run-time for the stove to shut-down.(The stove draws about 120W during shut-down. I am going to put a set of N.O. relay contacts in series with the auger motor, with the low-voltage DC relay coil supplied by a small "wallwart" DC adapter (which) is plugged in before the UPS. Then the stove will run out of fuel when the power drops out, while the UPS keeps the combustion blower running to keep the smoke out of the house. This is a must for me, as I have horizontal flue with no natural draft. I have an OAK too.

j-takeman said:
There is a thread on the relay here. I think dbcooper was the member that posted the relay info.
One relay thread. Relay plus socket plus (1) old lamp cord to connect to spare not-battery-backed plug on UPS and (2) piece of single-strand wire to connect relay to thermostat terminal on back of stove after connecting that thermostat wire to the relay ... and kofkorn's diagrams of which screws to connect to, and it's a ten-minute project. Murphy118 spec'd the relay and socket, so thanks to Murphy as well.

Then there's dbcooper's earlier relay thread. The difference with dbcooper's setup is a more expensive relay, that has delays both for shut off and for going back on. His concern is that without the delay it might overfire when turned on again, if that results in adding a full load of pellets on top of a load left when it turned off. I see that happen anyway with my setback thermostat. If the thermostat drops to a lower-temperature setting after pellets have been dropped but before they ignite, then when the thermostat calls again and goes to start a fresh cycle, it starts by dumping a whole second load of pellets in the burn pot. When I've seen this happen, the flame certainly runs high for a couple minutes, but not to a degree that looks threatening. With another stove at other settings or with other pellets, maybe it could be a problem. Note dbcooper's timed solution doesn't completely avoid the possibility either, but should make it less frequent. His solution he said was about $60. Mine was $6.99 for the relay, plus $8.64 for the socket, plus sales tax and shipping which put another $10 or so on it. So it's a $25-ish solution.

If you're cheap you don't need the socket; just solder to the relay pins.

whit said:
j-takeman said:
There is a thread on the relay here. I think dbcooper was the member that posted the relay info.
One relay thread. Relay plus socket plus (1) old lamp cord to connect to spare not-battery-backed plug on UPS and (2) piece of single-strand wire to connect relay to thermostat terminal on back of stove after connecting that thermostat wire to the relay ... and kofkorn's diagrams of which screws to connect to, and it's a ten-minute project. Murphy118 spec'd the relay and socket, so thanks to Murphy as well.

Then there's dbcooper's earlier relay thread. The difference with dbcooper's setup is a more expensive relay, that has delays both for shut off and for going back on. His concern is that without the delay it might overfire when turned on again, if that results in adding a full load of pellets on top of a load left when it turned off. I see that happen anyway with my setback thermostat. If the thermostat drops to a lower-temperature setting after pellets have been dropped but before they ignite, then when the thermostat calls again and goes to start a fresh cycle, it starts by dumping a whole second load of pellets in the burn pot. When I've seen this happen, the flame certainly runs high for a couple minutes, but not to a degree that looks threatening. With another stove at other settings or with other pellets, maybe it could be a problem. Note dbcooper's timed solution doesn't completely avoid the possibility either, but should make it less frequent. His solution he said was about $60. Mine was $6.99 for the relay, plus $8.64 for the socket, plus sales tax and shipping which put another $10 or so on it. So it's a $25-ish solution.

If you're cheap you don't need the socket; just solder to the relay pins.

They shipped me the wrong relay from the one I ordered, and sent this one. http://www.pexsupply.com/ICM-Controls-ICM491-ICM491-Single-Phase-Motor-Protection-95-270-VAC Worked fine, $32 something plus shipping. Love the time delay feature. Have watched it work during multiple power hits and for me its the right relay.You can go cheaper but you can't go better.

Pelleting In NJ said:
I bought a Cyberpower CP850PFCLCD for my Ecoteck, to shut it down properly during a power failure. This unit has a high purity sine-wave output to keep the AC stove motors happy. I paid about $113 on Amazon. Works like a champ, gives plenty of run-time for the stove to shut-down.(The stove draws about 120W during shut-down. I am going to put a set of N.O. relay contacts in series with the auger motor, with the low-voltage DC relay coil supplied by a small "wallwart" DC adapter (which) is plugged in before the UPS. Then the stove will run out of fuel when the power drops out, while the UPS keeps the combustion blower running to keep the smoke out of the house. This is a must for me, as I have horizontal flue with no natural draft. I have an OAK too.

Although a bit pricey but I think this is going to be my next "toy" for my stove, sounds like a very good investment.

Pelleting In NJ said:
I am going to put a set of N.O. relay contacts in series with the auger motor, with the low-voltage DC relay coil supplied by a small "wallwart" DC adapter (which) is plugged in before the UPS. Then the stove will run out of fuel when the power drops out, while the UPS keeps the combustion blower running to keep the smoke out of the house.
If your stove has an igniter on a thermostat, you want to be sure the igniter won't go on too. Those igniters draw a lot of current. Putting a relay on the thermostat line will ensure the igniter isn't turned on with power out. It should also stop the auger from running, since the relay cutting the circuit is the same signal as "it's hot enough already." Looks to the stove like the thermostat is satisfied.

I saw a CyberPower 1350AVR at Costco for $89.99 plus tax.
Sounds like a good price but not sure what's the big difference with the CP850PFCLCD

geek said:
Sounds like a good price but not sure what's the big difference with the CP850PFCLCD
The differences are (1) more power (the higher number) and (2) that's not a model with a pure sine wave, but rather with an approximation where it steps up and down to approximate a sine wave. That is, however, a great price, about $50 lower than anywhere else.

The CyberPower PFC series has true sine waves. I'm using an AVR-series CyberPower with my Quad Santa Fe, and I've got no complaints. But some here say their fans sound different using the step-type sine wave approximation units as compared to the pure sine wave ones. Generally computers work fine with the approximated sine waves too - except for some newer power supply designs, which are more sensitive to that, and don't (they just refuse to run on 'em). It's possible some stoves are more sensitive to the purity too.

Apparently there is some cleaning of the output on this UPS. For the last 30 minutes for some reason the incoming voltage has been fluctuating from mid 80's to about 108. When it dips below 90 the UPS goes to battery. When it at 90 to i dont know what it adjust the output to a little over 10%. For example if the incoming voltage was 92 the output would be 102-103 without going into battery only. I would assume the opposite would happen with over voltage.

Thought people would like this info. THe pellet stove is still running smooth while my TV shut off twice. It is now also plugged into the UPS....

whit said:
geek said:
The differences are (1) more power (the higher number) and (2) that's not a model with a pure sine wave, but rather with an approximation where it steps up and down to approximate a sine wave. That is, however, a great price, about $50 lower than anywhere else.

The CyberPower PFC series has true sine waves. I'm using an AVR-series CyberPower with my Quad Santa Fe, and I've got no complaints. But some here say their fans sound different using the step-type sine wave approximation units as compared to the pure sine wave ones. Generally computers work fine with the approximated sine waves too - except for some newer power supply designs, which are more sensitive to that, and don't (they just refuse to run on 'em). It's possible some stoves are more sensitive to the purity too.

I will do more readings, I wonder now if better to get the pure sine wave unit for $113 or the AVR series at Costco for around $95. I think I may get that AVR series unit at Costco and give it a shot. I can try and if i dont like it then exchange it.

Geek, I don't get a chance to get to costco much anymore(banned by the wifey!), So if you head there can you check a price for CP1000PFCLCD if they have it?

Jay, I only saw that model I posted above. Seems like they only carry that one, however online they have the brand you see from the link below; not sure if that one online has pure sine waves or not. I asked the lady since when they were selling the CyberPower brand (as the used to sell only APC) and she said about 6 months ago and very good feedback and no returns.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav;=&s=1

Don't waste your money on the modified sine... they really are aweful. I ran my stove on one for about 4 min before i turned it off and delt with the cold from the aweful sounds it was making....

spend the money and get a true sine. It's worth 20 bucks in piece of mind alone.

I would also suggest a slightly bigger model. My stove trips my 750watt model some times.

I'm going for a 1000 on my next one.

dont buy the geek squad stuff...from bestbuy. they are simulatd sine wave. my old Whitfield runs fine on it for 90 mins but I gather the new circutboard ones won't like it from what I am reading here.

Status
Not open for further replies.