1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

cyclone lid for shop vac

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by tyler walker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. tyler walker

tyler walker New Member

Loc:
    Highland, NY
    has anyone tried a cyclonic attachment for their shop vac for cleaning out their pellet stoves?
    something like this
    http://www.woodcraft.com/PRODUCT/20...ode=10INGOPB&gclid=CKTu8LqajLQCFQmCQgodvicAKw

i have a shop vac going with a HEPA filter, but it clogs quickly. i've just read about putting a drywall bag on the filter to extend filter life. i'm going to try that, but i'm curious if the cyclone lid would get most of the offending particulates before they hit the filter. they're most often used for sawdust, as i understand it. as long as the ash was cool, seems like they might be similar.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Salty

Salty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Ma
    they don't seal very well so your not going to keep your hepa rating.

These cyclone covers are meant to catch large chunks and keep your dust collector from filling up with large stuff.
  3. smoke show

smoke show Guest

ditch the hepa and put the fine drywall bag in it.
  4. tyler walker

tyler walker New Member

Loc:
    Highland, NY
    are you saying that the drywall bag with a normal filter is fine, or use the bag alone?
  5. smoke show

smoke show Guest

I have no filter in my Shop Vac only the yellow drywall bag.
  6. tyler walker

tyler walker New Member

Loc:
    Highland, NY
    Interesting. I grabbed a couple drywall bags today. They're $10 each ($20 for a 2 pack). I paid $33 for the HEPA filter. I can knock out the filter to get more life out of it, and as I understand it the bags just need to be tossed. Obviously, I'll be doing my own testing as well, but in your experience do the bags last long enough to remain economical?
  7. smoke show

smoke show Guest

I get a full season out of a bag then toss it. Its a lot less messier. IMO
  8. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Id still run the regular filter or HEPA filter. The Filtration bags will keep your filter clean. My HEPA almost looks new still (after 3 years) because the bag stops most of the dust. Just a very light coating on the inside of my Shop vac.

I too get a year out of each bag. I'm using a 3 HP 6 gallon Shop vac and cleaning 3 stoves in the house and any other odd job that calls for the little vac.
  9. gfreek

gfreek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful Attica/Varysburg,New York
    I'd use the bags and a regular drywall/ash fine filter or hepa filter
  10. smoke show

smoke show Guest

the king of back up plans has spoken... :p
    DexterDay and oldmountvernon like this.
  11. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

;)