Damper Block Off Plate Attach in Prefab Zero Clearance Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jblood

Oct 18, 2010
Southern Michigan
What is the best way to attach this to the sheet metal ceiling? It would be a sheet metal ring that would fit into the cylindrical recess for the existing damper. I am thinking that screws are not a good idea. Is furnace cement sufficient to hold the ring to the ceiling and to the liner?

Personally, I don't think furnace cement is going to do the job well enough over the long haul. Unless it is going to compromise the structure I would be inclined to use three screws or three pop rivets - think attaching stove pipe sections for spacing- and then some furnace cement to seal any gaps. Could you post a pic of what you are working with?

Screws or long pop-rivets should work. Pre-drill the holes, then silicone the perimeter and mount in place. Does the recess transition to rectangular? If so, it may be easier to drop the block-off plate down a bit and attach to the square surfaces.

Yeah, I hear ya. My desire to avoid screws is:

1) any perforation in the steel is a place where corrosion could start.
2) I want the installation to be reversible in the event we ever want to go back to the fireplace

Attached are some pics of the damper. it is on a hinge and has a little retainer spring on othe other side to hold it closed.

Attachments

• IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0535.jpg
    IMG_0535.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 192
Status
Not open for further replies.