damper down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

relax

just wondering hearthstone soap stone owners,do you have a damper installed,and do you use it..Im thinking about installing one ,but would first like some input from other users..thank you ZZZim

Unless its a very tall run in length, I wouldnt put one in.

I use one with my Mansfield and it extends the burn times and allows more heat to the living space.

EPA stoves of today aren't really designed for use with an inline damper. Unless you had an unusual system that needed the exhaust to slow down, I wouldn't recommend it. Most stoves are built with a "minimum" primary air intake to aid in efficiency. I probably wouldn't mess with that unless you find yourself in a situation that the draft is uncontrollable.

i have a mansfield. chimney is straight up with no elbows. 6.5 feet of stovepipe inside and 7 feet of chimney outside (13.5 feet total). when performing the install i figured i'd get the damper for the extra 25 bucks. if i didn't need it, it would stay open (although even in the open position it very minimally reduces the draft). Although 13.5 feet is about the minimum chimney length recomended for the stove, it creates excellent draft. i find myself using the damper quite often to increase burn times and retaining more heat. i'm really glad i put one in. i say go for it, but run a hot fire for 30 minutes or so per day with the damper open to burn off any creosote formation.

sorry to hijack the thread, hopefully will be installing by thanksgiving.........my run will be inside about 22' straight up. not sure what determines a "too high" of a run or

if it stove dependant. I will be burning a hearthstone shelburne; i think i spelled that right?

-mike

i think ill but the damper in and then ill remove the restricter PLATE FROM IN FRONT OF THE PRIMARY AIR INTAKE..WE WILL SEE HOW IT GOES...JUST CANT BE AFRAID OF TRYING something different...

just to add,my stove was a new install,and i wish i would have had a damper put in right away,but i didn;t see the owners manual untill they installed it . and in the manual ... in 3 or 4 pLACES SAYS A DAMPER INSTALLED CAN AND MAY HELP STOVE PERFORMANCE AND IN SOME CASES SHOULD BE PUT IN...NOW WHAT DO YAH SAY AND LETS HEAR HOW MANY DO HAVE A DAMPER ...

Yep, nothing like playing with fire. What do they know? Its just a cheap stove with no engineering or design. Ya that's it, remove the primary air stop while your at it!!! EPA shmepa... :roll:
Sorry just kinda got to me. :red: Me Bad.

Sorry ZZZim. Just try one thing at a time .1st your talking adding a pipe damper then next before you try it your also talking about removing your primary air stop. That for sure is not in the manual. Nothing like taking an EPA stove and turning it into a smoke dragon. Take it EEEEEEZe. ZZZim. :cheese:

i dont recall saying anything about removing a primary air stop, i think i said something about a restrictor plate ...just a piece of metel covering part of the air intake..but yah know hows do think dumping 50 gallons in sound... oh did i say oil,,

zim said:
YAH YA BAD YAH DONT KNOW THE SYSTEM AND THE MANUAL SAYS YOU CAN OR YOU MAYBE DONT NEED TO ...YAH YA BAD YAH YA BET YAH////I GUESS YAH AINT NO HELP YAH

Dude, come here for help, and then flame on?

People here are trying to help you with your saftey, and the operation of your stove. Asking for help and then arguing about the answer you get is a quick way to never get any help again..

Status
Not open for further replies.