Damper for inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dakotarnk

Aug 30, 2007
I have a lopi answer insert, The manual says it would be best to install a damper to give you more air control. How does one install a damper and still be able to open and close it with the surround in place. Do I need to run the rod through the surround or what? Will the damper be needed or maybe I can just forget about it. Thanks

Good question. This is a somewhat dumb manual instruction. Installing a damper is easy on a freestanding stove, but seems almost impossible on an insert.

Does this manual cover many stoves? The instruction doesn't seem insert specific.

You could always build a bracket for the pipe and then connect a lawn mower cable to it. Something like a choke cable for a riding lawn mower, that way you just have a little knob sticking out of the surround.

karl said:
You could always build a bracket for the pipe and then connect a lawn mower cable to it. Something like a choke cable for a riding lawn mower, that way you just have a little knob sticking out of the surround.

That'll close it for ya. One time. How ya gonna open it? Two pounds of cast iron damper doesn't move all that easily.

Karl Love the way you think. I think that if you run the stove properly no damper should be requuired. Learn how to control it with the built in damper and you air controls first.

We are talking about a new or modern stove ? or is it an older 80's stove If Epa approved and modern, then it should run fine without a damper..

A manual damper is used today with stoves that have too strong a draft. To slow it down. None are designed to use a damper for air controls
Which leads me to believe this is an old stove,
they were designed to run in conjunction with a damper

I believe this is a older stove. Dont know if it matters but the chimney is about 15 ft. the manual is
wrote around it being a free standing and an insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.