damper frozen?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

william Harris

Sep 10, 2014
northern Pennsylvania
Advice needed.
Tried to light fire in my open masonry fireplace. Room filled with smoke. Turns out the damper not open. It is a top damper near the opening at the top of the chimney opened and closed by a pulley and chain.
We had a fair amount of freezing rain here. Is it likely just frozen up?

Did you try to open it?

I would think that if the chain broke that at least one end would fall down into the fireplace. It could be frozen. Don't force it.

we see them frozen occasionally but it is usually a sign that the damper was not sealing properly and allowing some warm moist air to escape i would do what Ravinmetrowest said but then make sure it is adjusted properly. It might be fine but more often than not when we see a frozen top sealer it was not sealing well and that was trhe cause of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.