DDT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Got some favorite wood heating lessons? Famous flubs? I'll start with yesterday's:

Nylon and wood stoves don't mix. Take off the jacket before loading the stove.

IMG_4186.jpg

I'm sure I have some from years ago when I first started using a wood stove.
I'll be sure to share when memory recollects.

Nothing recent besides some singed hair on the knuckles.
Ooooh ..... hot, hot, hot, hot

It doesnt do very well with campfires either ;)

Reactions: all night moe
You would think after 20 years of burning and 12 or so working around stoves you would think I would have learned stoves are hot

I get burned a couple times a year

My girlfriend decided to try to roast a marshmallow by the glass of the stove. Accidentally bumped the glass with the marshmallow and melted it right to it.

I have a burn spot on an otherwise nice North Face shell. It’s now a work coat, lol.

Was wearing my deceased Under Armour, bumped the door with my arm on a reload.

Still have the scar.

Waiting for end of winter sales to buy a new set of Under Armour <insert BB face here> :mad:

Don’t forget that you got a hole in a finger of your welding glove.

• Haha
Merino Wool and wool in general does not burn. I have a pair of wool pants I used with the scouts during winter events primarily because they would not get burns from campfires.

You would think after 20 years of burning and 12 or so working around stoves you would think I would have learned stoves are hot
More like 50 yrs, though I only have had a down jacket for 10. I haven't been burned in a couple of years. It was the puffy quality of the jacket that deceived me. I didn't even know it had happened until I stepped outside to get another armload of wood and noticed some white stuff floating in the air. At first I thought it was snow, but that didn't make sense on our covered porch. No matter, the holes have been sewn together. Lesson learned.

Reactions: bholler
Merino Wool and wool in general does not burn. I have a pair of wool pants I used with the scouts during winter events primarily because they would not get burns from campfires.
Also a good pair of wool Filsons or Johnsons will see one through whatever winter wants to throw at you,

Reactions: Wildflush
The stove door bit me 2 or 3 time this year when reaching over it for a split. Just got too over confident and a bit sloppy, and when you use the blacksmiths quote, "You shouldn't be afraid of the fire, The fire should be afraid of you", karma is bound to humble your butt back down.

When you come from out in the cold and back up close to the woodstove. Make sure you don't stay there too long.
Indeed. That's one I remember. Got the stove running good one day. Went outside for an hour moving wood to the porch and shovel a short path to the wood pile. Only 4'' of snow. Came back in afterwards and ''hugged'' the stove. Before I knew it, my pants were burning my legs through the long underwear. Had to go back out to cool down, while pinching the pants away from my legs.

Hot pants, I thought it was just a phrase.

Reactions: danrclem
Got some favorite wood heating lessons? Famous flubs? I'll start with yesterday's:

Nylon and wood stoves don't mix. Take off the jacket before loading the stove.

View attachment 322736
Yup, been there. That jacket is now my hiking jacket. Battle scars!

Reactions: bigealta
I think my wood best lesson was when I planned on doing a break in for our new steel regency stove up at camp. I gave my wife instructions on what to do for the first fire. When I arrived a couple hours after her I realized that the stove door was ajar. She said “I thought it was shut”. No harm done. Guess that little kindling fire was raging.

At least once a year I grab the handle without gloves on to open the side door on my Keystone.

I think my wood best lesson was when I planned on doing a break in for our new steel regency stove up at camp. I gave my wife instructions on what to do for the first fire. When I arrived a couple hours after her I realized that the stove door was ajar. She said “I thought it was shut”. No harm done. Guess that little kindling fire was raging.
My mother in law came to visit once and noticed the stove was dying out. She decided to help, and recycle, by making her own log with a cereal box stuffed full of magazines. I came home to 98% of a cereal box stuffed tight with magazines. I have no idea how long it sat on top of those coals smouldering. *shrug* she tried.

First year with our Mansfield I come inside from outdoors. Smell something weird, go to the stove and see a giant black stain on top WTF? Ask the wife what is going on. She decided it would be a good idea to put her nylon/polyester sweat pants on top of the stove to warm them up. After two years of hot fires the plastic has finally totally disappeared, but the memory lives on.

When I was a wee one, my parents would warm my PJs on the stove. I remember the hot/melted/burnt spots on the PJs and spots of sizzling plastic on the stove, lol.

I remember the bubbling wood inside the stove too, lol.

Reactions: ozarkoak
Ha yeah we all boiled the firewood back then.