De-coalifier?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
Don't know why, but the cw2500 likes to coal up a lot more than the 602. Maybe I try to flog this one too much. But anyway, out of a 3 hour burn cycle, I spend the last hour at least waiting for the coals to burn down. If I reload too early, I end up with more than half the firebox full. I've tried raking coals, forward, adding a single split, etc., without success. Basically, I need more air to the coals to burn them down, or better yet more surface area exposed. Has anyone made a device to help burn down coals faster? Two thoughts were:
a) A couple of metal perforated tubes that you jam into the coals,
b) A perforated metal shelf that sits above the coal bed. Shovel some of the coals on top of the shelf, and poof, 3x the surface area exposed.
c) Kinda like b, except that you have a 3 sided metal mesh box with multiple compartments in it. Shovel in the coals, partially filling each compartment. Throw the whole thing back in, and now you have airflow around the coals in each compartment.

I'm thinking b is the best combination of what would work v. what I would actually do (I think c might work better, but way more work to implement).

Whaddya think ("you need a bigger stove" isn't an acceptable response).

I throw an eco brick on top and it burns them way down, if I dont pay attention sometimes I end up with no coals to start a new load.

Try burning slower maybe?

But anyway, out of a 3 hour burn cycle, I spend the last hour at least waiting for the coals to burn down... Whaddya think ("you need a bigger stove" isn't an acceptable response).

This was one of the reasons I moved away from the Heritage. It was undersized for my needs. This meant the coaling stage of the burn didn't offer enough heat.

The fact that you are getting 2 hours of burn and 1 hour waiting for the coals to burn down is a really big indicator that the stove is too small for your needs. Their is no solution to this other than a bigger stove.

You are working with a 1.45 cu ft firebox, which probably means the usable size of the firebox is smaller than that.

Reactions: Huntindog1
I rake mine into a pile in front of the air flow(dog house) and get another 50-100 degrees on the stove top as they burn down in my NC30. Maybe just getting them separated from the ash and into a taller pile in with airflow will solve the problem??

Reactions: dorkweed
Again, bigger stove=not a solution. This thing is actually cavernous compared to the 602. It has a tough job of trying to get the vacation house up from 42' in the winter.
Anyways, I've tried raking the coals forward, but they have the unfortunate tendency to spill on the floor when I do that (maybe a sheet of steel up against the opening would help?)
I can try throwing a CWL on there, but doubt that it will be any different than a regular split.
The wood I'm burning is 2 year old beech (though I had similar results with pine) that is 14% on the MM and makes a baseball bat sound waterlogged when hit together. Unfortunately have no idea where I'd get locust.
I was wondering about burning slower--maybe outgassing quickly makes it nice and hot, but then gets to coaling stage quicker, and lasts longer. A slightly cooler fire might allow me to reload sooner?
Has anyone tried a solution similar to what I outlined above to get rid of the coals once they're there?

If the stove is appropriately sized, the coals should provide you with enough heat while they are being burned down. If the stove is the appropriate size for your house, you should also get longer than two hours of heat during the burn cycle.

The coaling stage is part of the burn cycle. You can not eliminate it.

A medium split or two of pine (or other softwood) works wonders for burning down the hardwood coals while still throwing heat. Untreated construction lumber scraps work too.

When I was pushing the Homestead hard, I would have that problem.. I would just rake/push the coals in to the center of the firebox, lay a couple small splits across the top and leave the air full open, wasted heat up the pipe, but got them burned down pretty quick.

With the Mansfield, coaling has not been a problem. Because it's got a bigger firebox, and is the right size for my home.. (sorry, couldn't resisit ;) )

Sorry but a bigger stove would give you the best solution and more heat.

Reactions: BrowningBAR
There was another post we talked about half the heat in the wood is at the coal stage. If your looking to have a short burn before bedtime dont load the stove so much use smaller pieces. The burn cycle dosent include flames all the time. The flames are only for part of the time. So your burn cycle isnt complete yet if you still have coals.

I rake mine into a pile in front of the air flow(dog house) and get another 50-100 degrees on the stove top as they burn down in my NC30. Maybe just getting them separated from the ash and into a taller pile in with airflow will solve the problem??

I do the same in my Englander 13NC. Especially if I'm sort of pressed for time........................meaning going to work or to bed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.