Dealers pushing Accentra over Mt Vernon. Why?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djm3801

Jan 20, 2009
Eastern PA
After a ton or reading and use of this site, I settled on a Quadrafire Mt Vernon for my kid and his wife. So I embark upon a phone campaign to places for price and availabilty, some I went to and some I did not. I get the same thing from about half the places "I'll sell you a Quadrafire if you want one." That said, they like the Quadra's for wood but not pellet. I say I want something QUIET and nice looking. Lets face it the Mt Vernon is very quiet and has killer looks. And while I am aware of prior problems, it seems like these are pretty much solved based on what I read here, and Accentra's are not trouble free.

I have heard good and bad about both. So here I am, willing to pay more money, and dealers try to sell me a cheaper stove. The quadra would have to be pretty bad for me to dissuade someone from buying it.

Then of course there is one who says Avalon / Lopi is the way to go. Totally different look.

ANyway, what am I missing here? Is it a profit thing? More markup on Harman? Doubt it, the are owned by the same company.

Insight welcome.

Dan

Personally, Looks would be the last thing I'd consider when buying a stove. Dealer service would be #1. Stove/manufacturer's reputation #2. Value #3. Buying a stove is a long term committment...

IMO don't let them sway you into purchasing a stove you don't want.
The first time something goes wrong with that stove, you will resent it.
Pellet stoves are not foolproof.

When I was stove shopping, some dealers bashed the Harman brand while the Harman
dealers bashed the other brands. Do your research and pick the one you want.
It's your money.

When my wife and I were shopping for a pellet stove, we decided it would be one of two brands. I liked the looks of the Quadrafire Santa Fe, and she really liked the looks of the Harman Accentra. From the research I had done, I thought both were good pellet stoves. Needless to say, we bought the Accentra. Starting on our 10th bag of pellets, and so far it has been perfect. First cleaning was easy, and heat control from the stove is very precise. So we are both happy. I bet we would have been just as happy with the Quad. I would buy the one you like the best on appearance, and the dealer you think will give the best service.

Agree about looks to a large extent. Looks are not a consideration for me -but this is going into my kid's formal living room as opposed to a rec room or a basement and will be a focal point. So, Looks and Noise weight somewhat more heavily than normal in this scenario. Back in the day I loved the looks of the Fiat 124 sport coupe, and it sounded and handled great, but would never buy one as it was a problem and I am an Italian to boot!

Both stoves are top end stoves. Just no idea why this has happened more than once.

DUH!

Krooser, also agree that Al Gore is one of the most dangerous people on the planet.

Dan

dan_m said:
Agree about looks to a large extent. Looks are not a consideration for me -but this is going into my kid's formal living room as opposed to a rec room or a basement and will be a focal point. So, Looks and Noise weight somewhat more heavily than normal in this scenario. Back in the day I loved the looks of the Fiat 124 sport coupe, and it sounded and handled great, but would never buy one as it was a problem and I am an Italian to boot!

Both stoves are top end stoves. Just no idea why this has happened more than once.

DUH!

Krooser, also agree that Al Gore is one of the most dangerous people on the planet.

Dan
We agree on both MR. Gore AND the Fiat (Fix It Again Tony!).... hahaha

They probably don't want to sell the Mt Vernon AE because its complicated and they don't understand how to service and repair it.

I think it's really nice of you to buy a stove for your son and his wife, most kids dont have parents as generous as you are, and having said that, you said YOU like the looks of the Quad, but what about your son and his wife? After all, they have to look at it daily not you, so why dont you take them along to pick out the one they think has the ' killer ' look to it? I think they would be much more appreciative of your generosity.

Perhaps you could share the information you have gathered with your son, and talk about which would be the better one in his eyes?

Just a thought, I know if I wish to buy my son anything, unless its a surprise gift, I consult him and this makes him feel important and also gives him a sense of responsibility.

Just my 2 cents worth... I like both the Quad, and the Harmon, if I had it to do over I believe I'd get the Harmon, just based on how its built, and it's reputation for being a performer. I like my Quad, but you can see that the quality is just not there for $3,600 , paint on the outside where it gets warm is already flaking off, parts inside the firebox have a very sloppy fit, in my opinion for that money they could have put more emphasis on quality, and fit and finish. I have seen Harmons, and they are built to last for years. I'm lucky if this Quad lasts me 5 years even with regular maintenance.

Good luck,

Nicholas,

I am a little impressed with myself. I am not exactly pulling the bucks out of my back pocket. I want them to be happy and fighting cold and crazy electic bills is not going to help that, although they are quite happy as it is. Maybe because I had to scrape for everything - dunno. He is a car salesman and takes his job very seriously, so works every day, and late, but Sunday. I have been showing him JPGs of stoves. He may be attracted to a cleaner look as well. Theywill get what they prefer. I told him I am at a point where he needs to come with me to make a decison. HE actually thinks I am crazy when he found out the amount He may be right. Oh well.

BUT - What you said about your Castile is very important commentary and something that really makes me think far more than anything a sales rep can tell me. 5 years is not enough when you spend big bucks, and hearing that your stove already may look like it is showing signs of wear is not a good thing. I have a Breckwell P24 running for 10 years. I'll say it is a solid machine. I paid $2300. I clean it top to bottom once a season, back off, tubes out and cleaned. Has run 24 x 7 since the holidays. It looks almost identical to the day I got it aside from minor surface rust on some of the cleanout sliding doors. And I can clean them up if I wanted to.

My taste? I had a second hand Suriac Southport coal burner for 8 years. Talk about heat. The heat was different - went right through you. The tile floor in my rec room would be warm for hours after the stove started shutting down. Pellet stove heat is nothing like it. But it is clean and safe.

Yes, He will get to look at all of them. I guess the giid looks rub off too soon.

Thanks!

Dan M

Trying to figure out which stove to buy can be quite a task. In my opionion Quad has a good product now with the Mt Vernon. the Mt vernon is a completely different stove than a Castile. Parts fit together much tighter and I think it is well constructed. Harman makes a good stove too. Heavy, well built and built to last. Both stove brands are owned by the same company. I think its just a matter of what your dealer is biased to. Ask your prospective dealer to go through the cleaning process with you on both so you can get a feel for the stoves you are looking at. Get referalls if they are willing to give them. go to to both websites and read owners mauals to see what is involved with both. I own a classic bay 1200 and its used 24/7 and have no problems with it. But then again I work on these things all day long so I know the ins and outs of them. Mine probably gets abused more than any of my homeowners would. BTW Quad has a $600 cash discount deal goin right now on the Mt Vernon (if your local dealer is participating), but don't let that sway your decision. Get a feel for both stoves and go for what is best for your son and you (cause he'll be swearing at you if something doesn't go right after its in his house, lol). good luck with your research!

Thanks Mr. Fire. Or may I call you by your first name? (Could not resist)

I downloaded PDF's and read brochures of all of the ones I am considering and e-mails him them as well. The part abot having a dealer explain the maintenance and cleaning procedures was one i did not think about. I appreciate that suggestion. As much as he alwasy DOES appreciate everything (I am dropping off a tenderlion I picked up on sale. He will look at it like it is an alien thing..), I also know if it becomes a headache, I will have been the one to inflict it. You work on these puppies I guess.

I got to get him and his wife (what a great girl he married) into the store.

Regards and thanks to all, Dan M.

balls of fire said:
Trying to figure out which stove to buy can be quite a task. In my opionion Quad has a good product now with the Mt Vernon. the Mt vernon is a completely different stove than a Castile. Parts fit together much tighter and I think it is well constructed. Harman makes a good stove too. Heavy, well built and built to last. Both stove brands are owned by the same company. I think its just a matter of what your dealer is biased to. Ask your prospective dealer to go through the cleaning process with you on both so you can get a feel for the stoves you are looking at. Get referalls if they are willing to give them. go to to both websites and read owners mauals to see what is involved with both. I own a classic bay 1200 and its used 24/7 and have no problems with it. But then again I work on these things all day long so I know the ins and outs of them. Mine probably gets abused more than any of my homeowners would. BTW Quad has a $600 cash discount deal goin right now on the Mt Vernon (if your local dealer is participating), but don't let that sway your decision. Get a feel for both stoves and go for what is best for your son and you (cause he'll be swearing at you if something doesn't go right after its in his house, lol). good luck with your research!

I love your avatar! Who is it?

Rich

I've got free standing Mt Vernon and have no complaints about its construction quality. I've only had it for this season so I can not speak to longevity. The one thing I notice is you are comparing two stoves which have a significant size difference both physically and heat output. I have my stove in a relaively large room (about 24x24) so it isn't that big of a deal, but you may want to consider footprint. My neightbors have two accentras and they are nice little stoves.

My stepson has a rather large split level home. This will go into the middle, living room level, whick is huge. A brick home with singel pane windows (a problem we need to correct ). Side wall is stone wall where the fireplace is maybe 28 feet long spanning the LR and DR, mahogany walls (boards!), and the other direction, front wall, goes about 28 feet across the lr and Foyer, with the kitchen making up the rest. A lot of glass and 3 doors also make it leaky. A big area. Sounds like a very expensive home but it is out in the rural area and needed redecorating. Home was built in 1957 by an immagrant union mason. Solid as a rock, floor beams came out of achurch are 3 x 12! home is lacking in insulation. Upper level is 3 bedrooms.

They just swithced to a heat pump when their oil burner started acting up and oil went nuts. Oil bill last year was horrible as it was forced air and a 50 year old furnace. Now Electic bill is nuts (Like over $600!)and duct system is old and inefficient. INsulated the entire roof last season. Windows and doors this summer, which will help. So... There is a big space, much of it open, and a big stove is perfect for that scenario. Given it is a Frank Llyod Wright style of home, wnd the living room and dininr room are beautifully furnished with all new stuff (they have not been married more than a couple years), a clean and attractive and quiet stove is important but so is heat. Accentra is a great looking solid stove, but is rated at 42,000 btu while, for a little more money, the Mt Vernon puts out 60,000 BTU (Ratings are somewhat subjective but a third more is a third more), and very quiet. I view these two as pretty much top end. Other locally populat brands are Breckwell, Lopi / AValon.

Thanks, its just a pic i got in an email one day. but he looks like i feel somedays!

Dan-m:How old is the heat Pump, and the SEER factor. I live in a Mass, and 90% of heat pumps efficiencey fall off around 45-40 degrees outside temps, just watch that electric meter run when it is 30-20 degrees outside...Any rebates for windows in PA. by the utility co. ? other than the FED tax credit? and I hope the Steelers loose...

Dr. Cool,

Actually, he had a friend in the business who got one and had the whole job done for $2000 for a 1 year old unit. Unit rating seems right for the house. Ducts are funny baseboard units from the 1950's so they need some re-engineering. Cold here in JAnuary this year has been well below normal. Rebate would be available for windows. He needed to spend his money on doors and windows but spent it on furniture and landscaping. Go figure. New home, new wife. They want to make it pretty. FIxing up the windows will be a big plus.

My wife just brought up a good point - while i am concerned about moisy blowers, they only need to be at the LOW setting when they hang out in the Living room. When they are in the rec room, they can crank them up a bit if needed and no one will be bothered. Every time I under estimate her, she pulls out a pearl of wizdom.

I am a former Eagles fan who has defected to the Giants as the Eagles just disappointed me for 20 years. I am a former Jersey guy who defected to PA 20 years ago as well. Really pulling to Cardinals. Kurt Warner is a class guy. The team deserves to win. However, Steelers look tough. Line is in favor of steelers, but I am going to be rooting for teh Cards. Spent a lot of time in AZ on business. Nice state and nice people. Had the wife out there on our first real vacation in 15 years and she loved it.

Oil can go anywhere and i do not trust us to manage price. Natural gas not in his area and Propane is also nuts from aq price point. I agree with heat pump as you get A/C with it. But it is not a good fit for a house with single pane windows, so we need to remedy that. They are casement windows too, so no storm windows on them.

Dan

Thanks Dan, I guess I should have listened to my father more also...I Like the Harman also......I Bought a factory refurbished stow, Accentra II for 1800.00 dollars last year, same warranty...6 yrs...

I never say I told you so. Better when he comes to that conclusion himself. I need to get them into a SHOWROOM. They work long hours. I am proud of them or I would not do it. Hell, I am 61 - if i croak, nobody need to pay off the charge card anyway, so we stick it on the mastercard. If I do not croak, it will be paid off fast anyway.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.