Dedicated Outside Air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience hooking up a dedicated outside air supply to their gasifier?

I'm installing an EKO 40 in my basement and wondering whether plumbing in an outside air feed will be worth the effort. I've run outside air to my upstairs woodstoves but am thinking that my drafty basement may already provide more than enough "outside air" for the job. On the other hand, running a gasifier all winter will require lots of air, so running a supply line and caulking the bejeezus out of the sills might lead to a nice net gain.

VeggieFarmer said:
Anyone have any experience hooking up a dedicated outside air supply to their gasifier?

I'm installing an EKO 40 in my basement and wondering whether plumbing in an outside air feed will be worth the effort. I've run outside air to my upstairs woodstoves but am thinking that my drafty basement may already provide more than enough "outside air" for the job. On the other hand, running a gasifier all winter will require lots of air, so running a supply line and caulking the bejeezus out of the sills might lead to a nice net gain.

I don't have a dedicated air inlet yet, but my brother runs his that way. It's important to warm up the incoming air a bit before feeding it into the boiler. Some manufacturers use the incoming air to cool the doors. My brother cools one side of his boiler (no water jacket on that side). I've contemplated building a concentric stovepipe and pulling incoming air through the outer shell. Probably make my stovepipe condense and rust out, though.

I doubt you'll need it. Try it without an outside air feed; you can always add it later.

If your home is really tight, install a small 4" diameter inline fan (fantech) w/ a speed controller.
Just dump the air into the mechanical room or basement & this will supply adequate make up air for your boiler. Wire it into the combustion air circuit on your boiler so it only runs when the boiler runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.