deserves a thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doug thanks that was great. I've never seen the effects of predfator/prey explained in this way before.

We've learned a lot from introducing wolves to Yellowstone which serendipitously happened at a time of a devastating wildfire. Normally deer and elk would decimate young sapplings and sprouts after a large fire, but the wolves kept the population in check and so the forest had a chance to recover and even flourish. That brought incredible habitat to a location that had just been meadows prior to the reintroduction of the wolf. They are an important part of the ecosystem.

Reactions: blazincajun
Love the Yellowstone ecosystem - just don't want to be there when she blows. Thanks for sharing.

Similar thing occurred in Louisiana. A non-native envasive rat, the nutria, was inadvertantly introduced about the time that the American alligator was nearly extinct. Stopped the trapping of alligator until the populations of nutria diminished. Now they allow trapping of those gators once again.

The importance of predators is often greatly misunderstood.

This one concerns me.
ThePredator.jpg

Reactions: firefighterjake
bed bugs don't like freezing temps, move north??/?

I did. I moved north of Mamou LA, dividing line between Cajun Country and Redneck Country, to the Central Savannah River Area. I think I am a little Redneck also.

I did. I moved north of Mamou LA, dividing line between Cajun Country and Redneck Country, to the Central Savannah River Area. I think I am a little Redneck also.
how'd the boys make out on magnolia lane make out after the ice, read that eisenhowers nemesis was made into firewood?

how'd the boys make out on magnolia lane make out after the ice, read that eisenhowers nemesis was made into firewood?

Some of the magnolias lost a few branches but I'm sure the arborist's repaired them.

Thanks -- very nice.

I live north of Yellowstone in Bozeman. Its interesting to see the effect of the wolf program on the local economy. Winter (and summer) wolf watching tours have become very popular and help to support the local economy when things are otherwise slow. The photography shop in town has a whole window full of 2 ft long multi thousand dollar spotting scopes and camera lens to support the wolf spotting. I read that the wolf related activities add 20 million to the local economy. This is a good thing in that the wolf reintroduction is still a very controversial subject in MT and WY -- they need all the supporters they can get.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.