dialing in low setting, whitfield advantage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimml

Hearth Supporter
Aug 22, 2009
bigcity otis orchards wa
I have been running my recently aquired stove on high settings and can run the stove on high with the damper fully closed. auger pot turned up and the combustion fan turned down. Burns great with lots of heat.
I am now realizing the low setting is the more touchy range to dial in.
I would like to try and have a low heat setting which has a pellet consumption rate as low as possible.
I have just started and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or what a I need to look for as indicators a pot setting is not stable.
How low can the flame go?
How much will turning down the pot setting reduce pellet consumption?
I am hoping someone can shorten my trial and error learning curve.

Thank you all again for all the help this forum has helped me with getting started with my pellet stove.

Hi there. We just got a whitfield pellet stove for a friend of ours, it's been used and we have not been able to get it working right. We have the damper open, heat and blower at 5, feed rate at the mid point (0) and the combustion fan on full. The stove burns a gentle lazy flame and the convection fan even though on the 5 setting, just blows out air in a gentle manner. The flames rarely kiss the tubes and the stove never gets hot. We have taken the entire thing apart and gave it a through cleaning and still no difference. Can you offer any suggestions?

john193 said:
Hi there. We just got a whitfield pellet stove for a friend of ours, it's been used and we have not been able to get it working right. We have the damper open, heat and blower at 5, feed rate at the mid point (0) and the combustion fan on full. The stove burns a gentle lazy flame and the convection fan even though on the 5 setting, just blows out air in a gentle manner. The flames rarely kiss the tubes and the stove never gets hot. We have taken the entire thing apart and gave it a through cleaning and still no difference. Can you offer any suggestions?
\

Anytime you have a lazy flame you have a lack of combustion air... these stove run on negative pressure... make sure all the gaskets are in good shape... I would be the stove is plugged with ash. I'm not familiar with your stove but there are hidden areas behind the firebox that accumulate ash and, when filled, will cause that lazy flame.... not enough oxygen to burn correctly.

Use the "search" feature to get info on "leaf blower trick" and "plugged stove"... also check out the "sticky" about stove cleaning.

From my experience with a older Advantage 2 that I'd bought used. I had to take the fire brick backing out and clean the passage ways back there and my dampner was stuck and I had use penetratiing spray and keep working the dampner back and forth to free it up. Both fans had to be taken out and blade fans cleaned a the motors oiled and spun by hand to free up. I had brand new flu pipe installed at that time. How's your flu pipe system? Is it clear? It sounds like a combustion air problem,ie, motor not spinning up or flu plugged somewhere. bjr23

I just cleaned my Advantage yesterday. There are nooks and crannies all through it that ash collects, especially with these NEWPs I'm using this year that I'm not happy at all with. Don't forget the 2 metal baffles behind the brick. They are secured with 2 screws each and are about the size of the plates that hold the brick in. Don't forget the blowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.