Did I bye a good stove . . . Jotul 8

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sinn

Jan 17, 2008
IN
Can someone help me? I have bought a Jotul 8 I believe its the oldest kind with a wheal on the front to regulate air flow. Its in perfect condition and was only firered 7 or 8 times in its life.

I'm vary new to this hole wood stove thing

Is this a good stove?
Dose it burn clean?
Will it heat my 1500 square foot home?
Is there anything I should know about this particular model?
Anything you know about this stove would be grate to know.

Thanks

Attachments

• jotul 8.JPG
    jotul 8.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,794
surprised no one replied yet, the big brains must be out working today.
I dont know much about the 8 think that is an old one. but Jotul is known to make a good quality stove, and clean burner
and that is a nice looking unit.
here's a review.....
https://www.hearth.com/ratesingles/rate481.html

members with more knowledge should be chekcing in soon.
good luck

Good stove - especially for it's time - mid-1980's.

We sold tons of them and the customers were always very happy.

It would be good to get a manual if you could - any older Jotul dealer should have one.

Not too much to say on that particular unit - the glass will get dirty and you have to make certain the top gasket (top of stove just sits there, not bolted) is good. Other than that, it should be old reliable.

Read as much here as you can about how wood burns, how to season wood, select wood, load wood, etc. Your stove is a very well made basic burner without the newer technologies that make todays stoves cleaner burning. Your knowledge and understanding of wood burning techniques can offset much of that and allow you to use the stove effectively and quite cleanly. For an older stove, very nice purchase. Congratulations! and welcome to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.