Did I have a chimney fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

beatlefan

Feeling the Heat
Oct 2, 2015
Urbana, Ohio
Hello All,

I run my 30-NC pretty hot at times. Stove top temp up to 750 degrees F, then I'll turn the blower on. After a fresh snow, I discovered black dust/ash on a table top in the snow. It looks to me like it must've come from the chimney. I have my chimney swept every season by a professional.

I've attached a photo of the dusty table, a photo the of the table in proximity to the chimney and a photo of the thermometer location on my stove top. Am I running too hot?

Table.jpg Chimney.jpg Stove.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello All,

I run my 30-NC pretty hot at times. Stove top temp up to 750 degrees F, then I'll turn the blower on. After a fresh snow, I discovered black dust/ash on a table top in the snow. It looks to me like it must've come from the chimney. I have my chimney swept every season by a professional.

I've attached a photo of the dusty table, a photo the of the table in proximity to the chimney and a photo of the thermometer location on my stove top. Am I running too hot? View attachment 239838 View attachment 239839 View attachment 239840
It is possible you did but i would absolutly not say yes based on that small abbout of stuff on the table. Get yourself a probe thermometer for the doublewall pipe i think that is the most usefull spot to measure temps.

I get that all the time, small flakes in the snow, usually less than that though. My guess is, creosote forms on startup, then dries and flakes off and is ejected with a strong draft later. It's just a guess. I'm not sure if a guy could know for sure, especially if there is no outward sign of chimney fire. A stack thermometer is very useful for monitoring conditions, especially those at the low end, less than 250f, where creosote is most likely to occur.

Reactions: zvholk
I see that from time to time. Especially when running the stove hard.

I have the same thing but worse. I took the baffle and blanket out to inspect ..it appears as some flakey creosote just flew out when i had a good draft. That stuff comes off the pipe just by blowing on it. Its supposed to warm up this weekend so I'm going to let it cool and go up on roof and make sure the chimney cap isnt clogged at all.

I see that occasionally as well. For me, it's just light creosote/soot on my cap that blows off with wind or rain/ice pellets.

I get the same stuff from time to time . . . usually after I've been doing a strong burn.

Could be that the air is not getting turned down soon enough an a lot of particulate is being sucked up the chimney. Don't go by stove top temps for this, go by flue temp.

I see some guys talk about a strong fire or hot fire. I guess because I'm new how do you define or whats the,difference between a normal fire, a strong fire, and out of control/over fire?

I see some guys talk about a strong fire or hot fire. I guess because I'm new how do you define or whats the,difference between a normal fire, a strong fire, and out of control/over fire?
As stove top temps rise into the 5-600 range, stack temperatures will also rise to something above that. I think that is what some are refering to as a strong or hot fire. It's at the high end of acceptable stove temps.

I would not sweat it.

However I am not sure that 750 is an accurate reading. I think where you have it on your stove is too close to the flue/collar. I know all stoves are different but I was always told top right or left corner, or both.

Expansion and contraction of the steel chimney knocks crud loose and gets pulled out with a strong draft.