Did It Again!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a similar event last year. I was getting discourage until I finally found that I had not secured the ash pan drawer tightly. I had the problem over several days and didn't discover it until I opted to due a deep cleaning to see if that had anything to contribute to the problem. I felt so stupid when I came across the open latch. The napoleon has two side hinged panels which close over the latches to the ash pan so they are not normally visible. When I secured the latch, the flame picked right back up and there was a good heat output once again.

I'm getting good heat ouptut. I'm also getting the "popcorning embers". What I noticed a few minutes ago is, the right side of the burn pot isnt burning down as fast as the rest of it. I shut it down, removed it and checked it out... All the air holes in the pot are clear, and I opened the slide gate to the ash pan to dump the old ash out. Why would it be burning unevenly like that? It could start there, and then just bridge over until eventually the whole pot is full and the air cant get through.

There is likely two air paths entering the burn pot one on the left and one on the right. There are also likely two exhaust exits, likewise a left and right one. The side that isn't burning (Right side) has an obstruction. I'd check the intake side first, you should be able to put a flexible item through the right hand side an it should come out the air intake pipe. You could attempt to push a handkerchief through that side. Likewise the exhaust on that side snakes around and joins with the left side exhaust before exiting through the blower. That path could also be blocked.

save$ said:
I had a similar event last year. I was getting discourage until I finally found that I had not secured the ash pan drawer tightly. I had the problem over several days and didn't discover it until I opted to due a deep cleaning to see if that had anything to contribute to the problem. I felt so stupid when I came across the open latch. The napoleon has two side hinged panels which close over the latches to the ash pan so they are not normally visible. When I secured the latch, the flame picked right back up and there was a good heat output once again.
Good point and this is a common problem with stoves that have the burn pot directly connected to the intake air.

the Profile 30 and all the other whitfield stoves that have the ultra grate burn pot suck air from the burn pan area and would not effect the burn to much if the ash drawer was not shut.

SmokeyTheBear said:
There is likely two air paths entering the burn pot one on the left and one on the right. There are also likely two exhaust exits, likewise a left and right one. The side that isn't burning (Right side) has an obstruction. I'd check the intake side first, you should be able to put a flexible item through the right hand side an it should come out the air intake pie. You could attempt to push a handkerchief through that side. Likewise the exhaust on that side snakes around and joins with the left side exhaust before exiting through the blower. That path could also be blocked.

I see a lot of the whitfields burn unevenly for the first half hour or so because the ignitor is not in the center of the burn pot and the air intake is not in the center ither
but it normal evens out after a good fire is started.
Maybe your burn pot is warped and air is sucking around the put and not through the bottom of the grate?

I dont know... I need an exploded diagram of the stove, a visual might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.