Didn't break-in my wood insert properly - should I be concerned?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JohnJG10

Apr 21, 2023
Boston, MA
Hey guys! Just got my new VC Montpellier II wood insert installed the other day. The installer warned me about the odors, but never mentioned a specific break-in procedure. So I let it burn for several hours at moderate heat. Never had more than one log in at a time, but it was pretty hot by the end. Is it possible that I damaged the stove? Everything seems fine, but I'm reading about break-in procedures now and I definitely didn't do that perfectly. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_0530.jpeg

it's to cure paint let it cool off ,it won't break stove,heat it up gradually if it still stinks cool down light it again .if u burned it like you said it should be fine there tougher than people think lol

The Montpelier II insert is a steel stove at heart. It's unlikely any harm has been done.

Hey guys! Just got my new VC Montpellier II wood insert installed the other day. The installer warned me about the odors, but never mentioned a specific break-in procedure. So I let it burn for several hours at moderate heat. Never had more than one log in at a time, but it was pretty hot by the end. Is it possible that I damaged the stove? Everything seems fine, but I'm reading about break-in procedures now and I definitely didn't do that perfectly. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 312165
You didn't get it very hot with only one log at a time. It's fine. Not really much need to break in a steel stove anyway

Last edited:
I have the quadra fire flavor of this stove and didn't do any type of break in when I first got it. Just had a medium fire like you, I let it rip the next day. Haven't had any issues so far, I don't think you can hurt it. All paint looks good, I don't know what else you could 'break in'