Different Pellet Sizes, adjustments?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teamorange

Oct 8, 2008
RHODE ISLAND
I tried searching for this, but came up empty. Maybe I just used the wrong keywords...

I bought 2 tons of pellets, they both work great, but my question is that they are different sizes. One brand is very small and the other brand is very big pellets. Should I be adjusting the stove settings in any way when using the different size pellets?

a co-worker of mine has the same stove and the same problem as you do. His solution: puts pellets in a 5 gallon bucket, takes a broom handle and gives a good stir. The cheep and easy (sotra) fix. :coolhmm:

teamorange,

Yes you probably will need to make an adjustment. I just finished switching back and forth between two pellet brands that had different size pellets. You can do as doghouse suggests and mix them 50/50, then you can probably set your settings for the mix and leave your settings the same afterwards. If you decide to go through one batch first then the other batch (as I have done) then you will most likey need to change your settings.

What happens is the smaller length pellets tend to drop more into the aguer at any one time compared to the longer pellets. This means that your auger is feeding more and your fuel ratio will be a little richer than with the longer pellets. Also, I noticed that the shorter pellets when in the burn pot during first ignition have less air space so they tend to take slightly longer to light then the longer pellets which have larger air gaps between the pellets when in the pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.