Digital Readout Temperature Probe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fireman119

Dec 28, 2017
Ohio, United States
Let me start out with: I have a Pelpro PP130. I am still playing around with. Just got it installed and in the first few days, i am running through pellets like its nobody's business!! I realize with an initial startup to get the house up to temp it may take more than just holding that temp. But the house was pretty warm at temp setting 5 last night when I went to bed with an almost full hopper and when i work up and checked it around 8:30 Id bet i went through at least 30-40 pounds of pellets overnight......... NOT what i initially thought would happen. Maybe my settings are wrong. Help on that would be greatly accepted. But, onto my thought process on this post.

I know the temperature probe can be pulled out of the box and pulled to a location better suited to get a more accurate reading. My question is, have you ever seen those cheap $10-$20 indoor outdoor digital readout temperature setting things? my grandparents always had one. Has probe a lot like the one on the stove. Could i Centrally place that in the house, splice in the pelro stove ambient temperature setting and run it back to the stove? so whatever reading the stove is reading, I can see it in a digital reading. To better setting my dials and to help keep a more even heat in a central location of the home?

Your usage may be as expected. On average this time of year (30's at night, 40's during the day) I'll burn a bag a day. If the temps drop below freezing I'll burn 1.5 bags/day. If I'm in the teens it's 2 bags/day for me. My space, stove, and climate conditions are different than yours so it may not be a good comparison.

Reactions: tlc1976
Let me start out with: I have a Pelpro PP130. I am still playing around with. Just got it installed and in the first few days, i am running through pellets like its nobody's business!! I realize with an initial startup to get the house up to temp it may take more than just holding that temp. But the house was pretty warm at temp setting 5 last night when I went to bed with an almost full hopper and when i work up and checked it around 8:30 Id bet i went through at least 30-40 pounds of pellets overnight......... NOT what i initially thought would happen. Maybe my settings are wrong. Help on that would be greatly accepted. But, onto my thought process on this post.

I know the temperature probe can be pulled out of the box and pulled to a location better suited to get a more accurate reading. My question is, have you ever seen those cheap $10-$20 indoor outdoor digital readout temperature setting things? my grandparents always had one. Has probe a lot like the one on the stove. Could i Centrally place that in the house, splice in the pelro stove ambient temperature setting and run it back to the stove? so whatever reading the stove is reading, I can see it in a digital reading. To better setting my dials and to help keep a more even heat in a central location of the home?

fireman119, I was wondering the exact same thing with an external temperature probe. I didn't realize you could pull the existing probe out of the box for a more accurate reading. I'll try that!