Direct Vent logs , no light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfun

Dec 11, 2013
Virginia
I have an old direct vent natural gas fireplace that will not light. It does not have a pilot light, so it is a direct ignition . When I turn on the wall switch nothing happens, no clicking as in the past (when it worked) I could hear the gas valve click I assume , now nothing. I had a repairman check it out and I was told the ignition solenoid was bad and probably could not get a replacement due to the company that made them were no longer in business. I took the logs off the grate and observed what was happening. No spark to the ignition probes, when I turn the wall switch off , there is a faint spark . Does anyone know if I can replace the complete logs assembly with a vented log set?

Who is the manufacturer of this unit? If it's an old DSI (Direct Spark Ignition) & it's a Heat n Glo or a Heatilator unit, there is the possibility of converting it to a standing pilot. It's VERY expensive, probably about $1K with parts & labor, but it will be less expensive than replacing the entire appliance...

I do not know the mfg. This is what I think I need.. I think I have found a supersession part number, but not sure. 35-605606-223 35-60 SERIES, 24 VOLT DIRECT SPARK IGNITION dsi.png
dsi.png

Who is the manufacturer of this unit? If it's an old DSI (Direct Spark Ignition) & it's a Heat n Glo or a Heatilator unit, there is the possibility of converting it to a standing pilot. It's VERY expensive, probably about $1K with parts & labor, but it will be less expensive than replacing the entire appliance...
Daksy is close i have done a conversion on these several times it will set you back around 6 to 7 hundred.If you can do it yourself it can be done for 400 or less.If you have no experience doing stuff like this i would suggest getting a pro .

Status
Not open for further replies.