Disintegration of Piazzetta Monia grate baffle plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

709GADE

Jun 26, 2014
Pasadena, NL, Canada
Has anyone noticed this with their Piazzetta's, my grate baffle plate is disintegrating (see attached picture)? Take notice how thin the little arm/hook is on the left side in the picture as compared to the right side. The shadow really shows how thin it has become. The stove is only 9 months old, I have burned about 3.5 tonnes. Would this be covered under warranty I wonder.... Piazzetta Monia - grate baffle plate.jpg

Probably considered a normal wear item. Won't hurt to complain though.

It happened to my Monia as well. My dealer is getting me a new one under warranty, but warned me, that it will happen again.

That's not good, needing a new one each year :(

I'm not sure, going to see dealer this afternoon....

I would be looking at getting another built by a local metal shop of a more fire resistant stainless. Looks like the one you have now is just cheap cold roll steel.

Dealer needs to know about the problem at the very least so the manufacturer knows they have a problem. But as Bioburner states, you might be better off having one built with better materials.

Last edited:
One, what pellets are 709GADE and gdphishman using? It'd be interesting to know if there's a specific pellet that is causing this kind of corrosion. I'm guessing salts in the pellets?

Two, just to be clear, that disintegrating flange doesn't really do a whole lot, it just helps seat the piece onto the firepot.

I've been burning mostly Trebio softwood pellets from Quebec, pretty much the only brand I could buy around here. I've burned a some hardwood pellets as well called Canawick, manufactured in New Brunswick.

I would be looking at getting another built by a local metal shop of a more fire resistant stainless. Looks like the one you have now is just cheap cold roll steel.

Stainless isn't always the best answer. Fire resistant alloy is just as good, if not better in most instances but any material has to have some mass to it. They will all oxidize eventually, stainless included.

I burned only big box pellets from 2013-14, fireside ultras mostly. For 2014-15 it's been all LeCrete's
I've been burning mostly Trebio softwood pellets from Quebec, pretty much the only brand I could buy around here. I've burned a some hardwood pellets as well called Canawick, manufactured in New Brunswick.
Okay, so no common pellet to blame for corrosion.

Would it be the fresh salty air? Not sure how close you folks are to the ocean. You're a captive audience on Newfoundland ...

It will be replaced under warranty, I talked to the distributor and they have seen it before in a couple instances.

Distributor comment on whether it would be manufactured differently? Or haven't heard yet?

Distributor wasn't sure if they were going to change the design and/or the material used for construction... Hopefully, they did.

We have a 2 year warranty on our "cheap" stoves so there is no excuse for Piazzetta not to replace this.
That is an awful looking part, ask for a new part that is actually meant to last.

Out of curiosity, what do you determine as 'cheap'? Leading you on a bit, IMO, price don't impact functionality far as I'm concerned.....

Our stoves are available in the US from around $1,300 I think. No idea what Piazettas are.

Compared to a Harman or a Quad, thats cheap. I guess you offer a cheap stove too, then.

Piazetta sounds like some kind of pasta dish to me.....;lol

Crazy price I know, that baffle has got me worried, wondering what else may disintegrate <>

We dont have Harmans out here.
Our stoves sells 50:1 to the Quads as they are multi-fuel and 1/2 the price.

I'm missing something... You say your stove sells for about $1300.00 USD but a Quad is half the price in oz? That don't compute for me....???

Crazy price I know, that baffle has got me worried, wondering what else may disintegrate <>

Thats a pile of Loonies and toonies............._g

Status
Not open for further replies.