DIY countertop remodel (pics) off topic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming
This weekend i finished laying some tile on our countertops and backsplash.
The black is granite and the backsplash is tumbled stone.
I still need to grout and seal. I have a sink counter that will get the same
treatment next weekend. I think it turned out pretty well.
Sure beats the price of granite slabs.

Edit- far right pic is before, beautiful 1970's green laminate.

Brad

Attachments

• DSC03097.JPG
    DSC03097.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 572
  • DSC03114.JPG
    DSC03114.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 570
  • before 2 .JPG
    before 2 .JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 532
Gee, Brad, I dunno...I kinda like the old Formica. ;-P Nice job! Rick

So that's where the formica that was in my Grandmothers kitchen went too !!! :lol:

Nice job !!

Really nice lines and color themes! the off-white trim color really makes things pop.

So did you pull the old formica and base or did you tile over it somehow? I have white formica and would love a change.

Highbeam said:
So did you pull the old formica and base or did you tile over it somehow? I have white formica and would love a change.

I was able to remove the old laminate with a heat gun, pry bar and a chisel.
It wasn't easy but better i think. I then screwed down some 1/4" hardi backer. And tiled over this.
I was told i could just lay the backer over the old laminate. I dont see why that wouldn't
work either. Once grouted it should look a bit better. Maybe sometime this week i will do the grouting.

Thanks for the nice replies.

Brad

Looks good, and is NOT "off topic" for this area - We figure the DIY section is "anything goes" in the way of home / auto / other repair and improvement that isn't related to wood burning, or wood sheds... I helped encourage starting this area several years as we have a great many experts on different subjects besides stoves that are willing to share their advice...

Gooserider

Yesseree, it looks dandy! Big improvement over the tired laminate. I like the paintjob on the cabinets, too. (I'm painting a workroom floor right now with a complicated pattern).

And I like all the cool stuff you learn on this forum, too. I get a kick out of doing "projects". The key to success is having a good plan before you set to work! ;)

Thanks alot guys.
Yeah this is a cool page, never looked around here before.
I will pay more attention.

Brad

Deffy said:
that came out really nice. what did you use for countertop trim? did you buy it as trim or did you cut it from 12" tiles? are the edges of the trim polished or bullnosed? kinda hard to tell on my laptop.

It is a bullnose that matches the backsplash tile.
I really wanted to do it in the black granite, but this requires either mitering the front tiles,
or buffing the exposed granite edge. I think the bullnose looks ok.

Brad

Is the reason you use granite that it provides a solid base for the Formica? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.