DIY Fire Starters (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the tips CarbonN! Fruity...sounds delish!

When you say "stodgy", does that mean more wood than wax? Or the other way around?

CarbonNeutral said:
1. Well my firelighters not only work, but smell, how can I put it, fruity to say the least - can't think of candles that would be a problem
2. I just went as stodgy as possible - I had little free flowing wax left
3. Outside. Chunk the candles with an axe so that they melt quicker without the already molten wax overheating. Don't get distracted....

+1

I tried using a double boiler to melt the wax on the stove--it worked but not well. I now have an old vase that I use--fill it with the wax and stick it in the oven until melted.

More wood than wax, at least by volume

Last year I received my first Super Cedar samples and seeing as I was in school, not working and living off my wifes salary, I thought hey I can make these and save money. So I did and they worked out great! So if you are in a pinch as I was or are simply thrifty (nice way of saying cheap!) you can follow these steps and make your own.
I received my case of Super Cedars today and thought I would add to this post. I didn’t want to do so last year because I didn’t want to seem as though I was trying to take any business away from Super Cedars co. especially since they sent me a free sample. So I waited until this year and after I purchased my case of Super Cedars to write this post.

What you will need:

Parafin wax
Cedar wood chips/sawdust
Muffin pan/hamburger slider maker
Muffin wrappers
Free time.

First you need some cedar or other type of wood. I had some left over cedar fence boards that I took my chainsaw to and cut some kindling and the left over saw dust I put in a box for later. I also am into woodworking and so sawdust is never in short supply in my house so I mixed a bit of that in as well.

Next melt down some 100% paraffin wax tea candles from the Dollar store in a coffee can inside a pot of boiling water(double boiler style). Once the wax is melted simply add a cup or so of saw dust to the can of melted wax and mix with a stick I keep adding sawdust until the saw dust is permeated with wax but not too wet.

Now put your wax paper cups into the muffin pan and scoop some wax/sawdust concoction into the paper cups about 2tsp full and press down with a can or whatever you can find that is close to the same circumference of the muffin pan. This will compress the sawdust and bind it together let it dry. If it seems too or if there is wax sticking to your ‘press’ then you don’t have enough wood fiber add more next time. You are now done.

Just light the paper wrapper and that should ignite the sawdust puck and you are on your way to starting your fire. I really works great and really isn’t much of a task.

Attachments

• IMG_4038 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_4038 (Medium).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_4039 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_4039 (Medium).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_4040 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_4040 (Medium).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_4042 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_4042 (Medium).jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_4046 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_4046 (Medium).jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 296
Thanks for sharing! You are definitely THEMAN... ;)

Mmmmm . . . looks like some type of whole grain cookie . . . kinda making me hungry for some reason.

Just made my own starters w/ cardboard egg carton, dryer lint & tea candle wax.
Seemed work really good, but didn't start quite as easy as your off-the-shelf starter.
Although, once it got started, it burned rather well.

We make ours with shavings from my wood planer, dixie cups, and wax. The dixie cups are nice because you can line up a bunch on the countertop packed with woodchips and pour the wax into them. It helps to have a double boiler. My wife and here freinds usually spend an afternoon making them once a year. Dave.

For melting the wax - I used a large candle jar inside of a pot with a couple of inches of water - out on the old shop stove (ya ain't gonna hurt that thing). Slow, but safe and easily monitored. Add wax until the saw dust/chips (I also use a combo of saw dust and planer chips) will stick to each other. Deposit into whatever mold you want. A little pressure also helps to "firm" up the mixture.

I cut a birch tree down that was in my yard a few years ago.... saved a lot of the bark off of it, still using that and the sticks that fall down in my yard to light everything, tons left too!

But when i am burning regularly, the coals are enough to get it going again.

Chronologic Evolution in Non-Purchased Personal Fire Starters:

1. Crumpled newspaper (circa 1960's)
2. Cardboard (old boxes, egg cartons, etc)
3. Wax saturated cardboard
4. Wax saturated wood chips
5. Pan grease (animal, poultry) saturated cardboard (much easier than 3. or 4.)
6. Nut shells (walnut, almond, hazelnut, pistachio; avoid salted peanut)
7. Dried lemon rinds (most citrus works; once lit, these babies take off!)
8. Dried lemon rinds in pan grease saturated cardboard (the Millenium and thereafter)
* this combo works dependably and is the fastest as my patience wanes

Marty's Fire Starting Law: The amount of fire starter required is inversely proportional to the dryness of the wood.

Aye,
Marty
Grandma used to say, "Work smarter, not harder."

Status
Not open for further replies.