Do creosote treating logs do any good ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyCity

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2011
Western Pa
I've seen several brands of creosote treatment logs that you just burn with your load in the stove every so often and they claim to have a neutralizing effect on the creosote.

The skeptic in me thinks they are a gimmick like magic heat extractors but my nner lazy (chimney sweeping hating) optimist is hoping they work.

They will help change glaze creosote into a more stable state which is less flammable (less chance of a chimney fire.) The soot however does need to be swept out of the chimney after use.

If you're burning properly seasoned wood in a modern EPA stove it's probably not needed though.

cmonSTART said:
They will help change glaze creosote into a more stable state which is less flammable (less chance of a chimney fire.) The soot however does need to be swept out of the chimney after use.

If you're burning properly seasoned wood in a modern EPA stove it's probably not needed though.

Well stated . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.