Do I get a Jotul f 3 CB or f 400 Castine? -- 800sf house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

denisemon

Hearth Supporter
I have spent many hours (too many) researching wood stoves and have narrowed it down to the Jotul. I'm getting information from different resources as to the stove that would fit best in my home.

It's a 1950's ranch of about 800sf, (23x35) insulated attic, uninsulated walls, original windows with storms added.

The stove will be on the west outside 23' wall about 10' in. This is the living room-- about 200sf (11'x18'.) There is a wall at about the 11' mark going 11' east, splitting the LR and kitchen with then a 5' opening for kitchen entrance. A 36sf hall and then two bedrooms make up the rest of the house on the east side.

I was originally thinking the 3 CB would be enough for heating but the negative comments of the ash pan and the information I read about buying bigger instead has gotten me confused.

Looking for advice.

Thanks,

denise

Can't go wrong with the F400. Is this going to be primary heat or just the ocassional fire? Heck, I would probably pickup an Oslo if it is going to be a primary heater.

i would go with the f 400

thanks. I just got my quote for the f 400 as I was convinced that was the better way to go but then I started questioning my decision...typical of my nature. Now I'm ouching at the price for stove, pipe and install...I know, I know...it'll pay for itsel...it's just the initial pain in my frugal pocket -- fingers crossed I find one used.

I also would suggest the Castine, longer burn times will be a pleasure. A good deal on a used Oslo would be hard to pass up if your of the opinion you can claim it for the 30% tax credit

I believe there is no differenece between ash pan designs on these stoves. Just let them fill up and empty ash out of the firebox. I heat about 1500 square ft (two levels about 750 each) with the F3CB and teh furthest room fom the stove is cooler than the room that holds the stove. But that is just the way it is, this is aa back bathroom for me and it is not a room that i hang out in, so i can live with that. IMO you have too look at it with the same logic, that being said bigger (if u can afford) is always better)

what are you getting charged for the stove?

Good Question .... How much are you being charged for the F3CB and how much do they want for the F400???

I'd go with the Castine, very sharp looking stove imho...plus bigger firebox

Just for the stoves: f 3 CB - $1627 and the f 400 - $1965. Then add about $995 in pipe and $685 install. Total $3863 including tax. (-$340 if go w/ the 3 CB) Yiyyyy. If I knew what I was looking for I'd look for pipe on-line and a local installer to see how much I can save.

I found two f 400 used, one for $900 (4 yrs. old) one $1200 (1 year old). Travel time would be about 2 1/2 hrs each way....works for me as long as it works for The Man and a strong friend of his. I'll owe pizza and beer big time!

To MoF and FHS -- re: Oslo -- probably too big, I did find one used for $1900+ BUT because it has a side door I wouldn't get inspection approval for corner placement as I do not want to have a wider amount of space on the right side.

dmrecycles said:
Just for the stoves: f 3 CB - $1627 and the f 400 - $1965. Then add about $995 in pipe and $685 install. Total $3863 including tax. (-$340 if go w/ the 3 CB) Yiyyyy. If I knew what I was looking for I'd look for pipe on-line and a local installer to see how much I can save.

I found two f 400 used, one for $900 (4 yrs. old) one $1200 (1 year old). Travel time would be about 2 1/2 hrs each way....works for me as long as it works for The Man and a strong friend of his. I'll owe pizza and beer big time!

To MoF and FHS -- re: Oslo -- probably too big, I did find one used for $1900+ BUT because it has a side door I wouldn't get inspection approval for corner placement as I do not want to have a wider amount of space on the right side.

$1965 seems high for a new Castine....are you getting prices for Enamel? My brand new matte black Oslo just cost me an even $1800 about five months ago (purchased in CT).

dmrecycles said:
Holy Canolli, are you serious? Looks like I'd better shop a different store. No enamel, matte black. Quote from Superior Hearth and Spas in Avon, CT. Mike, where did you get yours?

Call Preston Trading Post in Preston Ct right now, guarantee you'll get a better price
(860) 886-1484

thanks. I think I was talking to them as you were writing....$200 less!!!! I know the Farmington Valley area is always a little more but geeeez. Well, it'd be worth going to Norwich. Their pipe and install guesstimate was about the same, but still. I'm a little dumbfounded here. Can you say 'take advantage?'

dmrecycles said:
oh, wait...that's $266 dollars less (never was great at math) almost $300!!!

Avon is def. more on the pricey side, its always smart to call around. FWIW i did call around and Prestons had the best prices in MA and CT and they are super helpful

Plus theyre probably going to have cheaper prices on the pipe too

dmrecycles said:
thanks. I think I was talking to them as you were writing....$200 less!!!! I know the Farmington Valley area is always a little more but geeeez. Well, it'd be worth going to Norwich. Their pipe and install guesstimate was about the same, but still. I'm a little dumbfounded here. Can you say 'take advantage?'

oops just read that part....$300 dollars saved is still worth it :coolgrin:

absolutely!

I want to thank everyone for their input. If it weren't for the advice given and questions asked, I would never have found out by how much I would have been over paying.

I found this site a few days ago and researched and researched and decided today that I definitely had to make a decision and knew I had to put it out there to all of you. Thank you, thank you.

denise

Glad to help...just be sure to post some pictures with which ever you choose, good luck!

I just called Preston Trading and was quoted $1,699 for the F400 .....

mikepinto65 said:
dmrecycles said:
Holy Canolli, are you serious? Looks like I'd better shop a different store. No enamel, matte black. Quote from Superior Hearth and Spas in Avon, CT. Mike, where did you get yours?

Call Preston Trading Post in Preston Ct right now, guarantee you'll get a better price
(860) 886-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.