Do I get a Jotul f 3 CB or f 400 Castine? -- 800sf house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yaron2 said:
I just called Preston Trading and was quoted $1,699 for the F400 .....

mikepinto65 said:
dmrecycles said:
Holy Canolli, are you serious? Looks like I'd better shop a different store. No enamel, matte black. Quote from Superior Hearth and Spas in Avon, CT. Mike, where did you get yours?

Call Preston Trading Post in Preston Ct right now, guarantee you'll get a better price
(860) 886-1484

Good, the OP already posted that price as being quoted for him.....are you considering buying one from them too??

dmrecycles said:
I have spent many hours (too many) researching wood stoves and have narrowed it down to the Jotul. I'm getting information from different resources as to the stove that would fit best in my home.

It's a 1950's ranch of about 800sf, (23x35) insulated attic, uninsulated walls, original windows with storms added.

The stove will be on the west outside 23' wall about 10' in. This is the living room-- about 200sf (11'x18'.) There is a wall at about the 11' mark going 11' east, splitting the LR and kitchen with then a 5' opening for kitchen entrance. A 36sf hall and then two bedrooms make up the rest of the house on the east side.

I was originally thinking the 3 CB would be enough for heating but the negative comments of the ash pan and the information I read about buying bigger instead has gotten me confused.

Looking for advice.

Thanks,

denise

Sounds like you've pretty much made the decision . . . as usual, I'm a bit late to the game . . . but I wanted to say that based on your size and lack of insulation in the walls and original 1950s's vintage windows I think going with the larger Castine is a wiser decision.

That said, I would also encourage you at some point to give some serious consideration to insulating the walls and replacing the windows . . . otherwise, a lot of that great heat will be just going outside to keep the squirrels and chipmunks warm in the winter. ;) :)

We bought our Castine in late July. I've found that a lot of stove places are charging pretty close to or at MSRP. I think it has to mostly due with the federal tax rebate the consumers can apply for.

firefighterjake said:
dmrecycles said:
I have spent many hours (too many) researching wood stoves and have narrowed it down to the Jotul. I'm getting information from different resources as to the stove that would fit best in my home.

It's a 1950's ranch of about 800sf, (23x35) insulated attic, uninsulated walls, original windows with storms added.

The stove will be on the west outside 23' wall about 10' in. This is the living room-- about 200sf (11'x18'.) There is a wall at about the 11' mark going 11' east, splitting the LR and kitchen with then a 5' opening for kitchen entrance. A 36sf hall and then two bedrooms make up the rest of the house on the east side.

I was originally thinking the 3 CB would be enough for heating but the negative comments of the ash pan and the information I read about buying bigger instead has gotten me confused.

Looking for advice.

Thanks,

denise

Sounds like you've pretty much made the decision . . . as usual, I'm a bit late to the game . . . but I wanted to say that based on your size and lack of insulation in the walls and original 1950s's vintage windows I think going with the larger Castine is a wiser decision.

That said, I would also encourage you at some point to give some serious consideration to insulating the walls and replacing the windows . . . otherwise, a lot of that great heat will be just going outside to keep the squirrels and chipmunks warm in the winter. ;) :)

I went, I bought, I saved. As far as insulating the walls...have considered that numerous times, just not interested right now in poking holes in my walls or exterior to blow it in, and gutting and insulating is not an option. Windows -- yup, plan to replace them, when I have the extra $$. What I am doing for now is adding more insulation in the attic, which currently is under insulated.

Skier76 said:
We bought our Castine in late July. I've found that a lot of stove places are charging pretty close to or at MSRP. I think it has to mostly due with the federal tax rebate the consumers can apply for.

that could be true, too, but Avon and that area has a lot of money, and I'm sure they have no problem selling anything they have. But, me? a very frugal self-employed artist? I'm looking to save money if I can.

my house is almost the same but 900 sq ft. 1950s ranch insulated atiic insulated windows however. i have the f3cb it heats my house great. i have back up gas heat and last yr left the heat off all yr except for jan and feb and that was mostly because i was in puerto rico for 3 weeks. i have to keep bedroom door shut for it gets too hot to sleep even on the coldest nights. my house is above 80 all winter. but if u can get a bigger stove go for it but i feel the castine will heat u right out of the house. i get 6 to 8 hr burns no prob.

dmrecycles said:
firefighterjake said:
dmrecycles said:

Looking for advice.

Thanks,

denise

I went, I bought, I saved. As far as insulating the walls...have considered that numerous times, just not interested right now in poking holes in my walls or exterior to blow it in, and gutting and insulating is not an option. Windows -- yup, plan to replace them, when I have the extra $$. What I am doing for now is adding more insulation in the attic, which currently is under insulated.

Good deal on the purchase . . . and honestly it sounds like you have a plan in place for the insulation . . . I've heard more than once that insulating an attic is one of the first places to concentrate on when adding insulation . . . plus it's typically easier to insulate there vs. doing the walls. Good luck with the stove.

Denise, Nice to see a woman on board. I am having my stove installed tomorrow and I am so excited! I have put up with lots of naysayers but I am doing it. The stove was given to me, 1985ish VC Resolute with two doors. I does look like it could use some enamel paint on the top where it is chipped off although it does not appear chipped but there are white or cream colored areas on the top that if repainted would look great, it is a brown emamel.
Anyone know where I can get brown enamel paint that will not melt or go on fire on top of stove> Someone suggested automobile engine paint but not sure it comes in brown. I have some wood to go in but only about a day or two's worth so have to get some kiln dried wood so can go now and burn and buy wood for next year in the spring.
IF anyone can think of a product to repaint these areas on the top of the older stove let me know please.

Status
Not open for further replies.